IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey iFishers,

Picked up a nice 12lb hatchery hen yesterday out of Chinook Landing. Had another one on but wanted to hand it off to the Capt Auggie. BTW - 20 feet of water and Brad's #29 was the hot lure. As we fought over who would bring it in like a couple of keystone cops the second one got off. Oh well!

Anyway, the first fish had small raised bumps or what looked like welts on both sides towards her belly and I was wondering what those were. I was worried they might be worms or something but they were only scale deep, nothing into the meat at all. Capt Auggie thought they might be from lice but I've removed plenty of lice from fish and never saw bumps under them. Anyeone have any ideas what they were? TIA!

GS

[ 10-11-2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: West Linn Wader ]

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
From lampreys or some other such blood sucker I imagine. Been talked about on the board before I think. Caught some coho last week up on the Sandy that had them all over.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have been told they are parasites but that has never stopped me from eating the fish. I have only ever seen them on coho and have never had a problem as a result from eating fish like this.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I caught a bunch last year like that and asked the same question here on the board. The answer I got was parasites. If you push on them some oozy white stuff comes out. Yum yum. They don't seem to go beneath the skin though. Not like the Spring Chinook I caught this year with a big ol white worm right in the meat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts