IFish Fishing Forum banner
161 - 180 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Interesting that only 65% of hatchery upper CR chinook and less than 50% of snake river hatchery chinook appear to be fin clipped. (I expect they are all otolith marked).
Also only about 80% of hatchery coho are shown as clipped. (Most lower river are, most upper river are not).

·
Registered
891 Posts
The river does go beyond Bonneville, and so do fish plants that are not clipped.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Did you read what I said?
The exception is for research and re propagation purposes.
Yes. But you seem to imply that the mark rate is much higher than it actually is. You stated "virtually all" and "90+%", but that's only for one segment of river. It's misleading.

Another issue. I'm seeing a lot of hatchery Coho with funky adipose fins this year. Too much fin left to call a misclip and bonk, but not a normal shaped or feeling adipose. Almost like the machine wasn't cutting close enough.

So if the wild coho we are trying to protect with Mark select fishing only make up maybe 10% of the entire run, doesn't every unclipped fish we handle actually increase the likelihood of impacting the true "wild" fish?

Tribes seem to see it that way.

My point/case is that fisheries are extrenely complex, and your statements were too broad and misleading.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
No WDFW said "virtually all" and "90+%"

·
Registered
262 Posts
"Lower Col R has 90+% ad clip rates for all species and stocks."
I rest my short case.
Your defense is weak just like your schoolwork. You use a subset of data from one region in the CR that isnt even "all hatchery fish are marked' to support your statement that fin clipping is needed for mixed stock fisheries which is bogus by itself. Present a stronger case next time counselor.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Your defense is weak just like your schoolwork. You use a subset of data from one region in the CR that isnt even "all hatchery fish are marked' to support your statement that fin clipping is needed for mixed stock fisheries which is bogus by itself. Present a stronger case next time counselor.
"Alternative Facts" 😂😉

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
See page 3
Copy and paste this into your browser.
file:///C:/Users/barney/AppData/Local/Temp/SFEC-13-1-1.pdf

·
Registered
38,814 Posts
Hatchery fish will have misshaped fins even if the adipose is present. Dorsal fin the easiest to recognize. The easiest test is to bonk a bunch of unclipped and compare fins while LEO is writing you a big fat ticket, (if you get caught). You can claim a scientific study in court. Tell us how that works.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts

I handle my share of salmon. I'm 90+% certain there's a bunch of misclip that look and feel like 66.7% regeneration of adipose. The fin is there, but it's rigid and misshapen. No flop to it, and not rounded. I've handled at least 6 of these fish recently.

The fish in the pic were off the mouth of CR today. Good grade, and we only threw back 2 unclipped fish. One of our throwbacks had the funky fin today.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
You know what I call people who make biological assumptions using a fishing rod?
Mistaken.
That's like saying someone who's had multiple surgeries is now a medical expert.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
So you do the Vulcan mind meld on them?
Lol
So commercial salmon fisherman must be like Phd's.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
What I can't believe is how long this ****ing match has lasted...
Something to do between trips.

I think the fishing is about to pop again off the CR finally. It has been somewhat challenging for a week or so.

The ocean was amazing this morning, we found some fish, I think this weekend could be really good.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Gotta say. I tire of this excuse to advocate for poor management. I'm pro hatchery and love bonking clipped fish as much as the next one. However the argument that because 'wild fish' have been crossed with hatchery fish over the years doesn't alleviate our responsibilities to be good stewards of our resource.
I've seen the mangled trout our states like to plant. I'd hate to see our majestic salmon and steelhead to meet a similar fate.
Poor past management isn't an excuse for poor future management.
Come down to the Whiskey Creek Hatchery and witness the release of 100,000 Spring Chinook. ( Thanks Jerry )
Follow the path of their survival as they come back and are "Plucked" from the river not allowing them to spawn with "Natives". I do believe there are many efforts to coexist and there is always more that can be done.

Its a "Held Accountable" for the release and removal of our necessary hatchery fish that is key.
Hatchery and Wild Can Co-Exist.
And of course a way for the "Natives" (Gravel raised) to populate.

·
Registered
retired
232 Posts
Come down to the Whiskey Creek Hatchery and witness the release of 100,000 Spring Chinook. ( Thanks Jerry )
Follow the path of their survival as they come back and are "Plucked" from the river not allowing them to spawn with "Natives". I do believe there are many efforts to coexist and there is always more that can be done.

Its a "Held Accountable" for the release and removal of our necessary hatchery fish that is key.
Well just guessing that they both need the same environment they can go extinct together. ...P.S. don't eat the oysters.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts

Yep. I've never questioned the value of a well run hatchery program. There's a lot of examples here on the upper Columbia. King of the Reach. I fish it every year. Chelan falls. And perhaps the reigning king. Chief Joseph.
It does bug me how willing people are to damage a stock or tolerate crappy hatchery practices under the guise of previously poor management. Sins of our fathers don't need to be ours. If we're going to be conservationists then we need to act as such.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Well just guessing that they both need the same environment they can go extinct together. ...P.S. don't eat the oysters.
(Tillamook Spring CK) Unfortunately, that is the direction they're headed in.

161 - 180 of 185 Posts