IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm re-finishing my wood boat and was wondering about coatings for the bottom?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Todd

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Coat-it works great and makes for a nice hard slick bottom.

You might do a search through the 2003 Archives for either Coat-it or Gluv-it. Lots of discussions about bottom coatings for boats.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Coat-It....better than Gluvit. Especially when you have to re apply after a few seasons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had read several threads about these two products but they were focused on Aluminum boats and just wanted to make sure about using them on wood.

Todd

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
A good friend of mine completely refinished a wood DB last winter. It had a coating on it that he wasn't happy with, so he got this protective panel thingy instead that someone else had told him about. If I remember right, I believe it's called UMHW (dunno what that stands for). It's like a super slick hard plastic sheet that you cut to fit and then screw on, kinda like a shoe sole (he also tacked a couple leftover strips along the lower sides). I've been out in it a couple times on the McKenzie, and it certainly seems to do the job--doesn't grab, and appears plenty durable.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would recommend that you do not use UHMW. Most wood boat builders don't like it because it traps moisture between the wood and the plastic. Trapped moisture eventually equals rot.

If you do it right you will only have to do the bottom of your boat once. It all depends apon how much effort you want to do now. Spending little time now means that you will be doing it over.

This is what I did on the Pram I built.
1) Layed out 6oz fiberglass cloth and wetted with West System epoxy. Let dry.
2) Wash away oily residue and repeat step 1.
3) Wash away oily residue and coat with a mixture of graphite powder and epoxy.
4) Repeat until finish is smooth from end to end.

The best way to apply the epoxy is to use a plastic trawl or squegee (like used for drywall work).

I am always amazed at how slick this bottom is and how much strength the fiberglass added. I have hit rocks so hard I was sure I had punched through the bottom. After inspecting the boat bottom I couldn't even tell were I hit.

Also if you can keep your woody garaged it will lengthen the life considerably.

God Luck.

[ 01-07-2004, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: V. Green ]

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
coat-it. 20 bucks a qt. Sold at Bi-mart. Yes, it's very effecttive on wood D.B. My wood boat was built in 68. I've heard very mixed reports on UHMU. Mostly related to trapped moisture like VGreen has stated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
i did my wood db last summer with 2 coats of coat-it,came out really nice,makes sure you stir it up really well and do on a nice hot summer day,,love how it came out and is pretty easy to put on,just keep working it around until it starts to set up(20 mins or so)we used squdgees and just poured the hole can on the bottom and worked it all over,kinda runny when you first start,,,,,,,,difinity easier with 2 people working it around

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
coat-it. 20 bucks a qt. Sold at Bi-mart. Yes, it's very effecttive on wood D.B. My wood boat was built in 68. I've heard very mixed reports on UHMU. Mostly related to trapped moisture like VGreen has stated.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
What V.Green said. West Bros. Epoxy resin/graphite. It's very fast in the water, bulletproof.

Call Ray's River Dory's and ask for Cyrus.
They are located in Multnomah.

PA :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,297 Posts
Just chiming in here 'cause the other folks beat me to it.

UHMW - just say no. Works great but traps moisture. Bad news on a woodie.

Graphite and West or System3 epoxy - yes. Great choice. Relatively easy application and very durable. Flip the boat over and mask off what you don't want to apply it to. It will run, period, and you don't want to spend your time chasing the runs waiting for the epoxy to cure. Sand lightly and wash with solvent to get rid of the amine blush between coats and you'll get a very solid bond.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks you guys for all of the "very" valuable information. This is what truly does make this site what it is.

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts