IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to recoat the bottom of my driftboat and I need to figure out which one is the better coating. So which one is the best?

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I've never used coat-it but some say they like it. I've used gluvit and it worked really well once and the second application was a mess. Make sure you follow directions completly.I didn't stir my second batch long enough and it never set up. I had to scrape it off. Outside temp. is a big factor too, so again follow directions.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I bought my first drift boat recently (used)and it's got coat-it. The person I bought the boat from swears by it as do other people I've talked to who use it. I've been told that the big advantage it has over gluvit is that you don't have to take the boat bottom down to bare metal to re-coat - just rough up the surface, with sand paper I assume, and put on the new coat. I'll find out this summer when it warms up.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The best thing I've seen done is a friend put Formica on the bottom of his. Took a devil of a beating and held up nicely for the 8 years that he had used it. He bought the materials from a company that had distressed and obsolete designs and colors. He cleaned the bottom and contact cemented it to the hull, and started using it. :wink:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Look in the archives for a ton of info on both of these products. It has been discussed many times.

One thing I have found is that the Coat-it can be applied over a previously finished surface without stripping it completely. Gluv-it must be a raw surface (bare wood in my case). I'm putting Coat-it on mine.

In all of the previous discussion, the most important factor brought up about either was to follow the directions exactly and temperature is a big factor in the speed at which the product will set up.

Steve :cheers:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Coat it is stronger and slicker. I've written on this subject a few times. Do a search. You'll get a ton of info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts