IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went on one of my favorite annual fishing trips today, drifting and casting spoons and spinners for native cutthroats. It's all catch and release fishing but really fun. The fish were hitting our lures hard despite evidence (bulging bellies) that several were stuffed with crawdads. Here are some pics of the trip.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Cutthroat are my passion!

It is a lot of fun to go on these trips, but just as a reminder for those that are new, and may wish to give it a go:

These fish seem to be making a comeback due to recent changes in the law.
Gone are the days of a stringer full of cutts for dinner!
You may not retain a cutthroat trout North of the Salmon River (Which is North of Lincoln City).
Salmon river and Southward, you may retain two over 8 inches... (although I wouldn't keep one!!) I believe, somehow, that these fish are precious and few, and that they have some kind of spiritual graces for me. I just couldn't bonk one!)

The regs state: "All trout, salmon and steelhead that are released must be unharmed and should not be removed from the water."

I try to follow that rule, although many people do remove them briefly for a quick photo opportunity.

I would recommend that if you are fishing for cutthroat trout, that you fish barbless. (Although it is not legally required) It's just so much easier to remove the hook, and the thought of killing one, to me, is... well, I think it would kill a part of my soul. :depressed:

If you fish bait, (tide water and below, ONLY,) PLEASE use large, long shanked hooks. Size 1 or 1/0 to minimize deep hooksets. If your fish is deeply hooked, cut it off! Don't waste a second's thought trying to dig it out of the throat of these precious fish! You can afford 10 cents!!!

Fishing for cutthroat is legal, but it scares me when I see so many people out there that don't know what they are doing.

Some people, I am sure, will see this as an advertisement for fishing cutts, and that I should just keep quiet.
I fish for these fish, and I'm sure there are those out there that believe I shouldn't.
Well, I do. OK? I love them! I fished for them today, and I thank God for the opportunity!
I marvel at their beauty, and cannot seem to resist seeing them up close.
I just believe that people are going to fish for cutthroat trout, as long as it is legal, and I'd rather have them knowledgeable about how to catch and release these beautiful creatures, than to see people out there mishandling them, or worse.

Thanks, and Doryboy, they are gorgeous, aren't they?

Jen

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Fun fish Jen, have you tried it on your fly rod yet???
It'll get real good for that late Summer and into the Fall. I catch some pretty big ones swinging steelhead flies late in the season.
I too have noticed the better numbers of fish. I priamarily fish them in the Wilson and the last few years have been awesome, seen some break the 20" mark but most of the sea-runs are 12"-16"
Two Falls ago I stood on the bridge below the salmon snagging pool on the Kilchis and watched about 30 good good sized cutts taking midges, season for them was closed at the time but it was fun to watch.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
Yes, I use my fly rod for the cutts. It's a hoot. :smile:

Got a 18 incher last year, doing just that.

Jen

G

·
They take a blue dun in about size 14 real well. I've seen fish rise several times to these flies before taking one. I agree with the barbless hook advice :cheers:
IMO me there is no reason to keep one of these hard hitting little trout (not always little BTW) If you need to kill a trout then the state stocks many lakes with legal size rainbows. Some lakes even have steelhead planted in them :shocked:
Last summer I hooked a big cutt while steelhead fly fishing in the lower Wilson the same way Mad Mikey mentioned.
These fish are a joy to fish for and readily take a dry fly. It's humorous the way they tend to shred a fly with their viscious takes.
Jennie is the "Cutthroat Queen of the Kilchis"

[ 05-24-2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Stew ]

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Oh I love fishing for cutthroats. I remember my first cut on a fly and man did that thing put up a good fight for the size of it.

G

·
All this talk about fly fishing for cutts has got me going :dance:
Jennie be looking for the "Grey Ghost" along the Kilchis tomorrow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't forget -- If you are going to release a fish, make sure you wet your hands down before you touch it. Dry hands remove the slime coating on them and makes them susceptible to parasites, viruses and disease.

Nice fish doryboy22, my buddy and I have caught a few in the last couple days as well.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If you're fishing one of the streams with the two fish over 8" limit, consider that frequently searun cutts do not smolt until reaching 10" or larger. An 8" or 9" cutthroat may be a resident form or it may be a sea run form that hasn't smolted yet. So if you kill your bag limit of two eight inchers that may equate to two less searuns that would have gone down to the estuary this spring and returned this fall several inches longer & weighing up to twice as much.

Cutthroats are the easiest trout to catch and I'm convinced freshwater sport angling pressure under the old rules caused much of the decline of the searuns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts