IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our last hunt of the year...and what a year it's been! Bear, turkey, bighorn, deer, elk...the Lord has really blessed our time in the field this year...our attempts at filling tags...and mostly, our time spent with Him.

Dad drew a trophy cow tag for NW Oregon this year...and on opening day we were waking up in Boise, ID for my cousins wedding. :whistle::D Congrats Jordan and Molly! :wink: With a week long season and not much pressure from other hunters this time of year, we knew we had plenty of time to get out. Driving home Saturday night after a morning wedding, we headed over to the coast mid-day Sunday just in time to hunt for a couple hours and loosen the legs after 20+ hours driving the last couple days.

We spotted our first elk not 30 minutes into the hunt, but they gave us the slip as we put a 500 yard stalk into their very strategic bedding area...they were in nearly an impossible spot to ambush them. We spotted a couple more elk at dusk, but they were out of range.

That night, my brother Scott joined us, and we awoke with high hopes Monday morning. We jumped two different herds in the timber on our drive in, and soon after, we hit deep snow on the North side of the hill forcing us to turn around. Now wondering where to go, we headed to a high point lower down to glass.

As we parked on the landing and walked to the edge, the number of elk we saw scattered throughout the miles of canyons was unreal! Everywhere we looked there were elk. After taking some video footage, we put a plan together to go after the most accessible elk.

An hour later, we were hiking out the ridge top above the targeted elk, all the while watching 2 other herds feeding across the canyon only 800 yards away. We dropped in and sidehilled our way out to the knoll we thought we could shoot from. Peering over the edge of the knob, the elk were within 200 yards...feeding, bedding, talking...it was an awesome experience.

We got setup...shooter, camera, second camera on the shooter...and began picking out elk...a dozen at least...and NOT ONE presented a good shot!!! After nearly an hour, dad decided to sneak to a different stump and take a nice healthy cow we had bedded closest to us. One round into her vitals and she never moved! Quick clean kill, organic fee range meat for the family :wink:, time in the wilderness with father and sons...it was an epic hunt and one of our most memorable. Cow or bull, what a blast!

· Registered
3,423 Posts
Great pictures - and a really nice looking cow

· Registered
961 Posts
My experience was a little different. It was a really cool experience to be within 200 yards of a dozen elk, knowing that at some point one is going to take a tumble. I was back aways from Jeff and Dad and my job was to film the shooter while Jeff filmed the elk. So being back from these guys and kind of out of the loop on what the were discussing was a little frustrating. And me not being the most patient fella in the woods was wondering why the heck is there 12 elk down there and they don't feel the need to shoot one!

But I just relaxed and sat back and waited.....and waited....and waited. I also don't have the biggest bladder in the woods and I had to go real bad.
I waited and waited some more. My eyeballs starting floating. I had to do something soon.

Finally dad decided he was in the mood to pull the trigger and my turmoil ended shortly thereafter! It was a good hunt and dad put on a shooting clinic as he snuck a bullet through the lower neck and into the lungs and the elk was dead before it knew what hit her.

This year Dad and Jeff and I started the year hunting spring turkey together and it was fun to end the season hunting elk with just the three of us.

· Registered
2,535 Posts
Great Job Gentleman! As always, your photos are incredible, they really POP. Do you mind sharing camerat type or settings? Some day I will have to invest in a good one myself! :)

· Registered
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great Job Gentleman! As always, your photos are incredible, they really POP. Do you mind sharing camerat type or settings? Some day I will have to invest in a good one myself! :)
Thanks guys!

I'm not a camera guru, I just learn as I go...but the camera is a canon rebel xsi...using the standard lenses that came with it. I've been using the zoom lens when I can and setting the camera up 10-15 yards back and it adds an element, using the AV setting makes the background blurry, and I adjust the exposure and brighten them up when I edit the picture at home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.