IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a little time today on a favorite coastal stream looking for a little chrome. It didn't take me long to find a willing participant in a fast water chute, had her nose tucked right in the foamy white stuff.(hint, hint)
It was a little summer steely hen around 6# that obviously had other plans cuz she let go just a little early. Pink pearl corky with a sandshrimp tail.
I moved down the crick a ways and found another willing biter that absolutely killed a small gob of eggs with a pearly blue corky helping them float. It too was in the fastest water available and this one made its way home with me, another hen around 7#.

I then went back to my first spot and discovered another biter, this on the blue corky and sandshrimp tail. This fish was around 9# and had a hole punched in its gill plate so it had been rerun. Since it was only 7:30 I let it go so I could keep fishing.

After a couple of hours of no more luck I decided to head up a little higher in the system and went to a good chinook hole to toss some bobbers and both Amerman and Quickcure eggs with no luck. I figured there must be some steelies around so I pulled out my trusty jig rod and tossed a red/pink FirstCast Jig. 2nd cast, bobber down. After a very dogged, decidedly unsteelhead like fight I finally got a look at my nice 14# bright chinook hen. Its my first chinook on a jig. I decided I was as lucky as I was gonna get and bonked her, on my way home by 10:30. :dance:

Thinking maybe I should pick up a lottery ticket, this is my first day fishing in almost a month. :cheers:

·
Administrator
41,369 Posts
Hmmm ... if you get a hook up on the second cast of a First Cast jig, is it a defective jig? :wink: Isn't it fun to have good action in the summer-time?

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
That sounds like a great trip. I have a similiar trip planned for Saturday. I am also planning that kind of success. Thanks for the confidence booster. :grin:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Sounds like a great day!
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
206 Posts
"first day fishing in almost a month" ??????

What's going on????

Apparently the little break in fishing didn't hurt?

nice job!

:grin:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Rich,

Yea Pete is right that jig must have been defective. :wink:

Way to go. Catching a steelie and a Chinook in the same morning is lots of fun. Gotta love the Pacific Northwest.

Have fun fishing.

Mark

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, the jig was fine, it was the location of the cast by the operator that was the problem.(I'm a spinning reel spaz)

·
Administrator
119,652 Posts
I swear there are no Kings in the Wilson.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

That sounds like a lot of fun! Bill went down the Wilson yesterday with Jim E. He said he saw a King hooked by the boat in front of them. They didn't hook up at all, but you know... they aren't very good at fishing, those phase one types. :smile:

OOOHHHHHH AM I going to get it!!!

Jen :shocked:

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Good to hear those recycled fish are getting caught! :grin: I know exactly where you were. Only one system on the North Coast recycles Summers. :wink:

I would love to hear if anyone gets any Springers that are opercle punched. We have recycled a bunch and will be doing a bunch more Friday and Saturday.

·
Registered
14,791 Posts
Nice Post. Good job Rich!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
You are correct Jennie, no Kings. Chinook maybe but no Kings! :wink:
This is just as tacky as calling a rod a "pole". :hoboy: :wink:

Kings only exist in Foreign countries like Washington and Alaska. :whazzup:

Sign on the Roadside at the Klutina River (Trib. to the Copper):

THE KINGS ARE IN! :bowdown:
just bring money (that was our addition)

The funny part was that you could tell by the peeling paint that the sign had been up for several years, year round. :grin:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When did I say anything about the Wilson? Too dang far of a drive for me to drag my lazy bones to. :tongue:

I stopped at the first river I came to on my drive from Salem. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I'll tell Santos and Pete about that zipperlip favorite river. I should go check it out. I've not fished the month of June, and hardly the month of May. I only had 3 on, and landed a nice 21 pound springer in late May. I've just been too busy this year. But then again, I'm freeing up my fall schedule with my busy spring schedule!!! :dance:

SKP

[ 06-25-2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: SKP ]

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, no photos. Just pleasant memories, kinda like a girl I knew in school.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts