IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to drift the Nestuc Saturday from farmer creek to Hanson (three rivers)

I have a 10 ft don hill drift boat and though its small, it has a comfortable swivel seat stationed on a cooler for a guest, and the boat is plenty stable for two to stand and cast.

This will be a lazy drift, with no time limit covering as much water as I can if the bite is on and may include a bit of walking/pushing the boat over rocks. Ive not drifted Nestuc in the summer months so Im not exactly sure what to expect, but I dont mind pushing or even carrying the boat a bit if it means catching fish. I hear the water is OK to drift...if someone feels differently, speak up!

I plan to be at the launch about an hour before sunrise. Youll need your own gear and food, Ill be getting 5 dozen shrimp the night before. Anyone have a trolling motor to bring? Shrimp and jigs, maybe some eggs will be on the menu.

If you have access to a few globs of Scotts eggs bring some! No contribution is required other than a shuttle.

I may consider the wilson if someone knows the water and if the conditions are ideal, I heard theres fish there too! :shrug:

[ 07-23-2003, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: cirrhosis-of-the-river ]

·
Registered
13,994 Posts
Depending on how much time you want to fish, go to Cloverdale from Farmers. if you have all day, start at 1st bridge and go to Cloverdale. Easy driftin( especially in a little ride like yours. Perfect summer boat!).

The water these fish lie in is very specific, and you can cover 100 yards fast when they can see 20 feet! The rest of the water is dead( except for the super slow pools which occasionally hold fish. But they wont bite my spinners, so I just let the jig guys have em...stupid fish ;-). So even though it sounds like an incredible amount of water to cover, it really is just a few riffles with a lot of dead space in between.

Oh yeah, bring a thermometer. Before you start in the morning take a temp reading. If it is 63 or higher at 4 am, might want to find another hobby til it cools down. If it is 63 in the coolest part of the day, it will be 65-66 by early afternoon. I have had a real tough time getting them to bite in those temps.

Little black spinners are your friend.

Go gettum.

Mark and the lethargic from the heat dog.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts