IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to what a guide has to go through to get licenced. I was able to find all the info on the net except the CG licence info. Does anyone have a link to some info about what this licence entails. I have heard it's tough to get. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Rim, coast guard license used to be called a 6pack license as I know it . Let you take up to 6 people. Now the c/g calls it limited or unlimited. which the coast guard said the one you need depends on where your guideing and how big the boat in tons.
Test cost 145.00 but the cg would not tell me what where how or who as far as a study guide or how hard the test is. These are different then the charter license you need in the state of Washington to guide below the Lewis and Clark bridge (longview/rainier).
What the cg (Swan Island station) told me ws it's a 40 item mulitable answer test

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
It is tough to pass. It would be easiest to just join the CG for a couple years to learn what they want you to know than to read a book and try to apply everything in it in a real world scenario.

One of the Qs on the test( or at least one of the versions of a 6pac) stands out as funny-
" You approach a minesweeper in fresh water at night. What lights does he have where to tell you to pass on his starboard side?"

Now think about it for a minute....Night. freshwater. Mines. just what in the world are you doing out there in a minefield at night?

The ocean lic is tougher yet. Documented number of night bar crossings( now, about the only way you can document a night bar crossing is to be in the CG or work on a commercial boat of some sort). They rate it in tonnage of craft you can navigate.

The funny thing is to take dudes down the Deschutes requires a first aid class and some insurance. But if I want to troll the south Jetty( can be spooky out there too, but the difference in REQUIREMENTS is huge) I have to have the whole kit and kaboodle. Both take a smart and experienced Captain. Both put the dudes in danger( at times). But on a map, only 1 requires training.

Sory for the rant. I know they can't cover everything. But some of what is required is silly. And in other instances( where the skills of the Cap'n are tested in every sense of the word) little or nothing is necessary on the guides part.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
428 Posts
rimshot
You said you had all the info. Do you know about the classes offered at Clatsop Community College? From what I understand they offer the classes you need to pass the tests. You can pass the tests to get all the lisences including the master mariners (six pack) needed to guide offshore. Go to their web site and they have a phone number for information.
Randy

·
Ray S.
900 Posts
If you want to get the real info check with Coast Guard licensing at the Swan Island C.G. base in Portland. Clatsop College has an excellent program and there is a guy in Vancouver [Fryar's Maritime Service] who hold classes to pass C.G. tests.
Lots of hoops to jump through to get licsened these days.
Good luck with your studies...
Ray

3,491 Posts
Rimshot, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will give you the name and # of a Instructor in Washington that teaches the class and administer's the test ( I don't want to post and break IFISH rules) I took his class to get my license and I don't know how anyone could pass the test without taking the class. I understand you live in Oregon maybe you are willing to travel to Wa or maybe he can point you in the right direction for Oregon. My friend took the class at Fry's and it cost him 3 times more and took him alot longer to get his license?

Fish Slapper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts