IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a sucessful day fishing catching 2 silvers in the river while waiting for things to clear up. I could not take it any longer people were hammering fish south of the CR bouy and the ocean was calmer than the river which it was.
I was heading north east towards the Columbia River Bar when my windshield wiper quit working, and there was a lot of spray so I followed a larger fiberglass boat heading towards the bar. I followed in his prop wash for a while when I relized he was heading a little close to the jetty, probably 1,000 feet so i headed out of his prop wash went a ways and took 2 or three 4' breaking swells over my open bow. We took on lots of water and almosed stoped, so I swung us around at full throttle which barly moved us, with all the water in the bow and pump partly out of water then we took one over the srearn. Both bilge pumps were working and I started the kicker to head us out of danger while hailing the Coast guard and giving our Gps position. Now heading SW we were in calmer water and out of danger. Two boats headed towards us and the Charter boat The Katie Marie standed by till the Coast Guard showed up with-in 5 mins of my call by then the water was all out, but I had lost my main moter. A lesson well learned to stay out by the red bouys on my approach, and not to follow other people in un familur areas. Also going to have a bow cover made out of aluminum to cover open bow when going into old blue. I thank God above for not letting me panic and my one crew member panic in this time of dispair. Also I have a full fomed hull to thank for since we had about 6 to 8 inches of water in my boat. Hopfully my moter is not totaled, but the only other causulty was my cellphone so if you read this and I had your phone #'s please email them to me so I can build back up my cellphone phone book.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Wow,
Glad you made it o.k. Sounds like real pucker time.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yea, sounds like a really unnerving trip. You might want to get an estimate on your seat to replace that foam you probably sucked out of it!

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Scary stuff :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I am glad you are alright... I had a similar experience down there last year!

You can never be too careful on the water.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
HOGGEMIN, We heard your call go out to the coasties. We were down there that day, but we didn't go outside. Good job keeping a good head. The coasties were definately busy that day.

BTW, What kind of radio do you have??? It came in nice and clear. WE always have trouble hearing people, but they can hear us because the people we fish with buy cheap radios and they are about as good as two dixie cups with string. :wink: A good antennae and a good radio are a must. We have a Standard Horizion and have never had a problem talking to tugs or friends. Kind of a "get-what you pay for" thing.

5-Cents, I just read your archive link because I wasn't a member back then and have to say that that must of been a little exciting. :grin: The best thing we have found from fishing down there over the years is to hug the highway heading back to Chinook. Seems to be a little less sloppy. Also having a jet and if you launch at Chinook, you could cut in right after the tunnel by Fort Columbia and run inside along the beach. There is a channel through there but you need to make sure it is a fairly high tide because at low tide it is a sand bar. :grin: It takes you right back to chinook and is usually flat on even the roughest days. I would suggest studying it on a low tide so you can see where the channel is and where certain pilings are, but it does save time and makes the ride a little nicer.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Whoops, I am a moron.
I just read Killertraylor's post in the archive and it said to do the exact same thing. Ignore my post 5-Cents. :tongue:

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Another good reason to demand oversized scuppers for your drop-deck boat.

·
Administrator
119,610 Posts
S C A R Y!

I'm SO glad you are alright!

What happened to the other boat? He was OK?

Jen

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Glad everything turned out ok. How's the motor doing? I've had visions of what you discribed. Scary stuff. I had my scuppers enlarged but I still think they a too small.

Nice talking to you on Friday by the way. :smile:

[ 09-02-2003, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: WaterDog ]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. I'm either a little slow or haven't had my morning coffee yet, but having trouble figuring out why your moter quit. Was it because it was up out of the water and not sucking in anything to cool it down? Thus it overheated?

·
Flatlander
7,595 Posts
Whew! Depending on the boat and style you can get into big troube going the route a larger Osprey or similar boat can go. Glad all is okay.

Bill and I followed a larger boat once.... We don't that any more! :shocked: Cuz, we had a similar experience, expect the cover on his bow stops the water coming in, BLECK.

Bill is looking at making a hardcover out of fiberglass, but for a sled metal would look best and I know you know how to get the metal bent for your boat :wink:

Hogemin, we need to swap cell numbers....

About what time did you make your call to the coast guard?

gus

[ 09-02-2003, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Gus Orviston ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts