IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught a silver bright Chinook with a clipped adipose and ventrical fin. Do you know where this fish is from? Caught it below the Astoria bridge on the Oregon side.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We have got 3 clipped chinook this year, the ODFW biologist cut the snouts out of them and sent them in for tests. They said they would send a card explaining where they come from. I dont know if I will get a card with their tight budgets, but he said most of the chinook are either BC fish, or California fish.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
The chinook in the lower Columbia with a adipose and ventral fin clips are Rogue River Stock released from Youngs Bay and maybe a couple other lower river hatcheries.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Two years ago I caught a Silver out of Tillamook that had a chip in its head. The checker cut its forehead out and said I would get a card telling where it was coming from. It took awhile, but around 4 months later I got this card saying that the fish was headed to Young's Bay.

·
Registered
17,015 Posts
David (and anyone else), some fraction of the fall chinook going above St.Helens have an adipose clip.

Anyone know where these fish originated from?

Also, does anyone know what percentage of the fall chinook hatchery stock got clipped?

(I'll assume there may be State, Federal and Tribal releases of these fall stocks?)

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I'm assuming that the adipose clip above St. Helens comes from just about any hatchery around, while the original question was more related to the adipose AND the ventral fin clip. I think...unless I missed something, TOC.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have a theory on this, when the salmon interact with other schools in the ocean, some mixing occurs. you ever notice that the some fish shoot right up the rivers while others mill around going in and out of the mouth for a while.
I believe that some fish have better smell recepticals then others. so in the end some fish just follow other salmon up the river even though its not there spawning grounds. evidence to back this Ive caught brown (changing) kings in the salt. and caught a humpy and a sockeye in the samish river, a river that has runs of kings and silvers....DJ

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info David. Hope to catch a few more. Good fighter and really good eating. I was just saying to my fishing buddies that I wish I could catch a Chinook on my new Lamiglass X80 and Shimano Tekota reel when it double over and the fight was on. Must of had some "Extra Sensory Fish Perception" that day.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Rags,
That combo sounds like a weapon of fishing destruction (WFD) I will be picking one up next week. Thank you IRS! :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts