IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to do something special with each of my children, something only they and I will do together as they grow up. For my son, I would like that one thing to be climbing mountains. Hopefully culminating in Mt. Hood when he graduates high school. I will only be 49 then, I could do it, right?

Anyway, he is not yet 2, and I would love to find a "mountain" that we can both tackle this year. We've really been training. He takes off running up the hill after the cat, and I chase him down. So, we're both in pretty good shape. :pp

I know there has got to be a place within an hour of Salem where you park really close to some little summit, and take a short hike to the top. If I still lived in KFalls, I think there is a trail just like that at Crater Lake. It does NOT have to be some big trek, just somewhere we could start our tradition. It would be preferable if the place actually had a name, like Spirit Mtn., or Mt. Hebo.

Any ideas where we could go?

Thanks
~Melissa

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
A worthy endeavour to be sure.

I would start your experience with the Mazamas for climbing and hiking education.

My Father and I graduated from their basic climbing school in 1976 by climbing St Helens.

It was a great experience.

Good luck to you and your son. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fast Water,

Do you think Mazamas would know of a place we could go that matches what I'm looking for? Do they keep an inventory of some sort on all the small peaks in the state?

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Oopsie.

I just noticed he's only 2.

Just taking him up to Timberline and letting him see the mountain and walk a little ways up hill will set his dreams and imagination in motion.

:smile:

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Silver Falls. Not exactly a "mountain" but you can actually hike behind some of the falls. It's the stuff memories are made of. I'm not sure if the whole loop is open (and your son is probably too young for that long a hike anyway), but if they've repaired the trail at North Falls, it should be just about right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts