IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed to Seaside this Friday for a minus tide and was just wondering if anybody has heard, good, bad or indifferent. I know data might be lacking due to the recent poor conditions. Thanks!

Dan(ger)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Friday nite...low tide 6:41p, don't be afraid to be there at 5pm. -0.5 should be good. I'll be there too. Clam gun at the edge of the water as it goes out. CLAM ON !!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Was there last Fri night and Sat am...limited in 20 minutes both times....very little pressure....nice clams.

UUUUmmm UUUUmmm good 60 crabs/60 clams/salad/bottle of red wine,
what a feast !!! :dance:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow, 60 clams is alot of clams, I dug a limit of 15 a week ago and I thought that was alot of clams as far as the cleaning goes and the meat I got from them. My question is can you freeze clams and if so for how long will they stay good in the freezer? We dug ours on sunset at night with the low tide being .01 and the clams were plentiful with 90% of our catch being 4-5 inches long. Also I know that the rule states that you have to keep the first fifteen you dig but if you get a small one thats not damaged in any way do you put it back? I got a few that night and I would place them upright in the hole I had dug with there neck sticking out and when the water would come back in they would start to dig and be gone very quikley, is this ok to do? They seem to be fine.

·
Registered
501 Posts
verysweepy, I've had razors vacume packed for a year before and they have been fine. If nothing else, chop them up for clam chowder.

love2fish

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate starting a post like this....now I am all excited and can not concentrate on work! :grin:

I'm going to have to go dig a bunch of holes in the backyard tonight just to get it out of my system until friday.

:dance:
Dan

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
verysweepy - I'm calling Fish&Game - you're a poacher!!! OK, I'm just kidding, but in all reality, this is true. The regs read as follows:

- Unbroken butter, cockle, or littleneck clams may be returned only in immediate digging area. All other clams must be retained regardless of size or condition.

Claiming ignorance really doesn't fly either. It's everyone's responsibility to know the rules BEFORE going. I know it's tempting to just let the little ones go back, and I'm sure it happens a lot, but that doesn't make it legal.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'll be in Garibaldi this weekend. Planning to fish in the morning and clam the evening low tide. Would someone be willing to tell me where a good place to start clamming would be. I figure I will have to drive north a ways but really haven't a clue on what beaches to clam on. Looking for the elusive razor clam of course. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Salmon Stryker, except I'm leaving TODAY!!! I've clammed in the bays about a million times, but never razor clammed. Seaside and Gearhart are the places to be, right? Also, how far "out" are these things? Aren't they right near the waters edge, where the outgoing surf leaves wet sand? Got a gun and ready to use it, just need a little direction. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Verysweepy,
Razors will freeze very well if vacpacked. We've had them over a year later and they were still excellent. It's the best way to hedge against the closures. Although were almost out! Time to get busy again. Also you MUST keep your first 15, you can't put back the little ones. Besides the IMHO they're actually better tasting.
Salmon Stryker,
Go north to the Seaside area. In town you can go to the Lewis & Clark salt mine area. Not much parking but just walk to the beach. You can go a little further north to Sunset Beach and drive right out on the sand. Half a mile either direction of the access road is all good. Get right down to the waters edge and follow the tide out. Tons of fun!
Good luck all, wish I was going but Elk season beckons...

·
Registered
571 Posts
The easiest place to drive onto the beach is 5 miles north of seaside "Sunset Beach Drive",Last year you could drive out there with any kind of vehicle, Just head for the water and clam. Fort Stevens is good,North of the Peter Iredale Wreck, But I do not think you can drive out there at night, and it is pretty steep to get back up. (4WD only) with fat tires.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
Is there any good places to clam closer to Garibaldi? I am gonna be there this weekend, have never clammed but this thread might have given me (to my wifes dismay) another hobby!

(the link from Washington is very helpful)

any opinions shovels vs. clam guns

Need new toys!

EK

[ 10-22-2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: El-Kabong ]

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for the info guy's and for the e-mail Kevin. Getting excited for some fresh razor's. The last time and only time I razor clammed was in Alaska about 8 years ago. I'm going to take my kids ages 5 and 2 out. I bet they will love it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
While you won't find razors around garibaldi, you can find butters and cockles by the coast guard station. You'll find it just north of miller's restuarant. You'll need boots or waders and a rake and a lantern.

·
Registered
108 Posts
El-Kabong

For Razors on a sandy beach I definitely recommend a Clam Gun. :cheers: For all others, a clam shovel would be more versatile. Also, I would recommend chest waders for a positive low tide; probably get away with hip waders on a negative low tide. Also, one of those mesh clam bags that slip over your belt is nice to have, for 10bucks it is well worth it.

Be very careful when reaching into the sand for them, they are not called Razors for nothin :wink:

Good luck.........IF4F

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I know what the rules state and I only let a couple small ones go just to see if they would actually survive and dig away and was just wondering what some other peoples opinions were on the subject, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I believe it is closed south of Seaside.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Sweepy, You weren't ruffling feathers. They were just letting you know that you have to keep the first 15. Don't take it personally, people just come off sounding like they are mad, but they aren't.

Good luck and hope to see you there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by verysweepy:
Wow, 60 clams is alot of clams, I dug a limit of 15 a week ago and I thought that was alot of clams as far as the cleaning goes and the meat I got from them. My question is can you freeze clams and if so for how long will they stay good in the freezer? We dug ours on sunset at night with the low tide being .01 and the clams were plentiful with 90% of our catch being 4-5 inches long. Also I know that the rule states that you have to keep the first fifteen you dig but if you get a small one thats not damaged in any way do you put it back? I got a few that night and I would place them upright in the hole I had dug with there neck sticking out and when the water would come back in they would start to dig and be gone very quikley, is this ok to do? They seem to be fine.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

1 - 20 of 21 Posts