IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be clamming for first time since child. Saw two different clamming guns in store, one was twice the height of the other -(both metal). Does that extra lenght make a difference or not. Any answers greatly appreciated.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
depends how tall you are and wether you like to bend over.
I'm 6'3 and use a tall one, while my friend is 5'4 and uses one a little shorter.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The longer one means more sand to pull out and it'smuch heavier. I've got the shorter type and get as much clams as the next guy but sometimes it takes a little longer. If I were to buy a new gun I'd spend a little more money and get the stainless steel one. It's a little wider and the stainless slides into the sand like butter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I would not get a gun....shovels are much better and don't damage the clams as much..

·
Registered
605 Posts
Use a shovel; that's the way you are suppose to dig clams. I think that clam guns are for shooting clams; at least that's how the clam looks after it has been taken by a clam gun.

·
Registered
6,569 Posts
Grandpa only used a shovel, and dug in the surf, and cursed his bi-focals :smile:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I once dug them with a shovel, then a clam gun....Now I use TNT and just blast them outta the ground :grin:

Learn to use the clam gun and you will have no problems. And yes, the stainless steel ones are really nice.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am not an expert but I understand that you only use the bottom half (about 18" to 24") of the clam gun any way. My brother in law built his own custom clam gun and the large pipe portion is only about 20" long. The handle comes of the large diameter with a pipe approx. 1 1/2" in dia for approx another 20" up to the T handle. The hole is still in the handle and both pipes are hollow and open to each other so you still get the proper suction when pluggin the hole and lifting.

[ 11-06-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: Conspiracy Theory ]

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Actually I think a beginner will break less clams with a gun than with a shovel.
I don't break clams with a shovel and prefer them out in the surf especially after the tide has come in.

The guy with the shovel is knelt down digging his clam and gets nailed by the incoming wave and I just stand up and pull the clam out with the gun never making myself vounerable to the same incoming wave.

Both methods work great and if you choose to go with a gun instead of a shovel, make sure you have some kind of pounding stick because sometimes (often times) pounding is required to locate the clams.

Oh and yes, stainless does cut through the sand better but when it comes to a gun they are awefull heavy to be toting around for any period of time. The dwawback.

Dan

[ 11-07-2003, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: DepoeBayDan ]

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'm going to try and make a couple of the PVC type guns today. I think you could make one for about half the price they sell them at Joe's.
6-inch cap is the spendy part.

I hate breaking them but always do. This goes for all clams no matter my method or targeted species (except cockles which require Kingfisher85's method).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts