IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning a crabbing adventure for early, early sunday morn and was thinking about picking up a couple razors while im at it? So.........

Do you know of any decent clamming beaches near Hammond? Is the afternoon low water even worth a try on sunday? any good news in general on the oregon clamming front.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Scared of bears, Sunset beach access south of Astoria a few miles on 101 is the best place to go. I pull my boat right out on the beach there (18'Hewescraft) dig my clams then head to Warrenton, launch the boat, get my crabs, go home and feast :grin: ..I did it several time the last few autumns, no problems...W.A.

SOB, LOL....Right after I posted my reply my Claming buddy call. We are going to be there in the morning, But Im not taking the boat, no time to crab...If I happen to see a guy with a boat on the beach I'll come say hi...if you don't take your boat on the beach I guess I wont know which guy is you WA.

PS use your own judgment about taking your boat on the beach as the beach changes a little each year.
I pull my boat with a four-wheel drive pickup....

[ 10-04-2003, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: Wright Angle ]

·
Registered
352 Posts
I might add that the sunset beach aproach is (was) very good and easy. There are some humps (soft sand) after you get onto the beach. You will be able to see them right around the high water mark. As you already know you don't want to tow anything thru soft sand. Just drive around them and stay on the hard sand between the high water mark and the wet sand and you will be fine..............Bobber Down

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I think we have decided to concentrate on the crabby's, due to the early morning/late night tides. Now I get to get up at 3am instead of 2am. :depressed: :sleep: :sleep: Aint fishin'(crabbing) grand!!! :grin:
SOB

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But.............while we are on the subject of clams, what your favorite way to prepare them. I will be diggin' next sat/sun.
Or for that matter how bout' your favorite prep/recipes for crabs?
SOB

·
Registered
352 Posts
Dip in egg/milk then roll them in flour with salt/pepper. Cook in fry pan with the oil real hot (but not smoken hot-so they don't burn) 30 seconds a side. You can coat them with pride of the west, or krustez fry/eze if ya want as well. Enjoy...............Bobber Down

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
15 perfectly clean razor clams
3 beaten eggs
2 cups panko apox.
3tbls. flour
1 to 1.5 cup canola oil [soy,vegetable,crisco...]
Put all the clams in the egg wash.
Using the wet hand ,dry hand method,dip the clams in the flour,panko mixture.Make sure you cover them completely with breading to reduce oil spitting.Let them sit while you heat the oil to just smok'in.It should be hot!This is not a job for the meek.I like 2 old griswald cast iron frying pans,large.And 2 spatter screens.Plenty of paper towels,and your ready to fry.Carefully lay a clam from front to back in the pan.It should sssssizzle, you may need to adjust the heat down at this point.Fry until golden on one side then turn them over.Small clams may only take 1 to 2 minutes, larger "mossbacks" may take up to 6 minutes.Now thats a big clam!Large clams require a lower heat so you don't burn them.

Do not overcook.

Do not burn the clams.

Do not let burned residue build up in the pan.Clean the pan and start over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts