IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about ditching the front bench and attaching a seat to a 150 quart cooler. Is this a bad idea? Not sure how I'm going to secure it yet.

Jim

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Jim, I've got a similar idea for my drifter, let's talk about it tomorrow while we're smacking some nooks!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good! I'm ready for some 'nook smackulation. Maybe some steamed carrots too. :wink:

·
Registered
448 Posts
AtWorkAlot, I have a question for you. My friend is an avid drifter and drifts the Clackamas primarily but also frequents the Deschutes, Santiam and pretty much every other river that is considered a good river to drift. He says that the round chines on the Clackacrafts tend to make the boat drift back and forth when anchored in a current because of the rounded chines. He has an Alumacraft 16 foot guide model. He did say that they are cherry when you are rowing them because of the tunnel hull. Is he full of poopoo or what? I really like the Clack's although they are a little expensive. (looking used I found an Alumacraft for $3500 w/ oars and galvanized trailer a Clackacraft seems like they run around $5000) I should let you know that I've never rowed a river but will be getting my first experience on Labor Day.

Scott

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scotty,
I don't know if the glass boat sways more on anchor in current than an aluminum or not. I'd say it's likely, but minimal. To prevent sway on anchor, keep your oars in the water, with tips up (parallell to the boat). I have rowed aluminum boats, and I can't say there is a noticeable difference in the way they track, as others claim. Hope this helps more than confuses. Good luck.

Jim

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have a clacka.. Rock solid in current as long as the oars are strait! BTW mine is pre-Tunnel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts