IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st hand report of Springers from Riversided down! I have pleny of salmon tagged, I really want a Fresh Summer... Never floated from Barton to Carver.. I hear its pretty smooth! Is Felhimers to barton Better steelhead wise? I guess I want to know which strech will have less Sled traffic? Oh yeah Looking for good plug water!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
There are usually less sleds above Barton. As the springers move up river, so will the traffic. Be careful for other boaters. Springer season seems to bring out all the worst on the Clackamas.

·
Registered
437 Posts
It's The Minefield on the Clackamas. It's not the only picture of a sunken boat I've taken this season. I've seen boats go down at McIver, between Feldheimers and Barton and below Carver.

Given the nature of FA's questions I thought it best to post up this pic. Things can go wrong and it usually happens pretty fast.

Buy a trip or go with someone who knows the river. The Clackamas has been changing a lot this year.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
FA-

Not sure about your skills on the sticks, but the Feldheimer to Barton run does present a couple of tricky spots to avoid or narrowly miss, and some channels to choose correctly. Nothing to lose sleep over if you can row, but it might catch the newbie by surprise.

KillerDave-

Good reason not to run the Minefield :shocked: .

Chris :cool:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Despite the Geek's claim to my studliness, I don't even think about the Minefield, unless I'm in a raft ( passenger), that stretch of river just doesn't really appeal to me,never has. :shrug: Guess I'm just one of those fellas that wants to go fishing tomorrow, the day after etc... with my boat still in tact. Others may do it, great for them, they can bonk a fish for me and tell me how great the ride was :grin:

Too much can go wrong in a hurry, I've seen boats go down in the strangest places, so I always keep an
out for possible danger. My buddies Green Pirate and Catch 22 as well as myself choose to whallop on fish much lower in the system .

Barton to Carver will have some nice pluggable stretches, as well as some deeper salmon holes. As the flows drop, some of that section will be pretty much a froggy row, but there are a few places where the fish like to linger.

There are some nice late winter broodstock and native fish around as well as some dandy chrome summers.

Have fun, and be safe !
Chris :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts