IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just caught wind of this tonight. Im livid.

How can this even be considered on this river? After the lawsuits from the NFS and all the drama, now they want to pump treated wastewater into the river?

I just emailed city council and will update this post. Supposedly there is a meeting with more discussion a month from yesterday.

This is insane, and the fact that they were given a half million to study it?

Where are all the steelhead this year? This will most certainly make it better?

I don't know what all you people think but seems to me like we need to fight this......

https://sandy.civicweb.net/document/21582

Wastewater System Improvements

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I just read the presentation, I'm not understanding why you're upset about this project.

The water already flows into a Steelhead river system (Clack) but is now going to flow into the Sandy, after they build a new up to date facility, and they're aiming for positive improvements to the Roslyn wetlands.

"The Facilities Plan identified the best path forward is to invest in our existing infrastructure, build a new state of the art treatment plant, and discharge highly treated water to the Sandy River, a receiving stream that has much more capacity than Tickle Creek."

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You have a lot to learn about Wastewater treatment. You know there’s several plants that feed into the Clack and Willamette Rivers right? The plants effluent is cleaner and more environmentally friendly than the rest of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You have a lot to learn about Wastewater treatment. You know there’s several plants that feed into the Clack and Willamette Rivers right? The plants effluent is cleaner and more environmentally friendly than the rest of it.

Ha. City of Sandy's been killing ESA wild coho for years with their treatment plant right now.

Sandy Wastewater Treatment Plant Leaks Concentrated Bleach Into Nearby Tickle Creek, Officials say

Those "chlorine leaks" happened twice a year every year when I did surveys on Tickle Creek. We only narrowed it down to the specific pipe and got it shut down in 2017. One survey in the fall there were 65 dead wild coho - all prespawn spread out in one survey 2 miles below the outflow.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds great but what if the membrane fails? On paper everything looks good. Sign me up for dumping more wastewater into the sandy? I just want to start a discussion and make sure everybody knows. I caught the second steelhead of my life in Roslyn Lake. Recycled sandy hatchery fish in the early 2000's. The Willamette gets BIGPIPE overflow and even with the big pipe it still doesn't work. What about the lead and heavy metals downstream of the freemont bridge. The US epa has sued PDX. I caught three steelhead a day in this river in 2002. So this is progress? Roslyn lake is abandoned and myarmot dam has been blown up. Lets put wastewater into the system and then wonder where the steelhead have gone?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Ha. City of Sandy's been killing ESA wild coho for years with their treatment plant right now.

Sandy Wastewater Treatment Plant Leaks Concentrated Bleach Into Nearby Tickle Creek, Officials say

Those "chlorine leaks" happened twice a year every year when I did surveys on Tickle Creek. We only narrowed it down to the specific pipe and got it shut down in 2017. One survey in the fall there were 65 dead wild coho - all prespawn spread out in one survey 2 miles below the outflow.
Yes, their present plant is in shambles. The plan is to build a new one.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Treated wastewater is more clean than you may think. The City of Portland has dumped treated wastewater into the Columbia for decades under federal clean water regulations.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Yeah, haven't you drove by the one off 205 and 213 and read on the side of the poop plant that says "fine screening building"?. We got nothing to worry about lol.
Also I was a duck hunter before I had the pleasentry of having to do some work at a plant. Not a big duck hunter anymore 🤢

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
The best a City can ask for is a new treatment plant. Will be many fold better than what ever they have now.

If you dont like treated water to flow downstream into a stream, the option is to quit flushing, and nobody is signing up for that option

Treated water is far cleaner than most think.

I just gave a couple a tour of the poo plant in Bay City last Friday, the lady was apprehensive before the tour, the husband was wanting to see it, then when we were done, she said she was amazed, it didnt even smell, and thanked me for the tour.

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
This .... "Treated water is far cleaner than most think. "

I had friends that spent a ton of $ fighting the city of Molalla to not dump treated water into the local river. One day while launching the drift boat,
there is a city employee measuring dissolved oxygen and other characteristics of the river water upstream of where the "nasty" stuff is infused.
Curious, I asked him what and why.... The water they add is actually cleaner than the stuff upstream (his explanation). Still not sure I would drink the water from a
Canby household....

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I just caught wind of this tonight. Im livid.

How can this even be considered on this river? After the lawsuits from the NFS and all the drama, now they want to pump treated wastewater into the river?

I just emailed city council and will update this post. Supposedly there is a meeting with more discussion a month from yesterday.

This is insane, and the fact that they were given a half million to study it?

Where are all the steelhead this year? This will most certainly make it better?

I don't know what all you people think but seems to me like we need to fight this......

https://sandy.civicweb.net/document/21582

Wastewater System Improvements

I'm curious, where do you want your treated **** water to run as an alternative?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I will not spend my time reading 205 pages of material over an issue I am going to have little if any control over. This is exactly the reason most of the public will not be involved.

I call it SteamRollered!

It will happen both with or without me.

·
Registered
798 Posts
As has been said, some people don’t understand the whole process. What do you think happens to everything that goes down the drain? Where do you think it all goes? One way or another, after treatment, the water that is left will go to some water body. It can’t just magically disappear. So in this case, assuming they are using the best technology available, it sounds like both an upgrade and a good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm curious, where do you want your treated **** water to run as an alternative?
My water is disposed of in my own septic system. The city doesn’t pay for water disposal for any of the properties on the river because we arent connected to their pipes. I don’t care what they do with the water I just don’t think it should go into the sandy river but I’m just another idiot on the Internet with an opinion

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Yeah, haven't you drove by the one off 205 and 213 and read on the side of the poop plant that says "fine screening building"?. We got nothing to worry about lol.
Also I was a duck hunter before I had the pleasentry of having to do some work at a plant. Not a big duck hunter anymore
Educate yourself

1 - 20 of 34 Posts