IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was fishing the Nestucca the other day and saw a nice pair of spawning chums right out from my feet. They weren't huge, but probably 15 lbs. a piece. As i walked up and down the river banks, I noticed a few bright red coho, too!

It's nice to see a diverse group of salmon in there.

The only thing that I saw that I DIDN'T like, was 3 guys up above me in a shallow riffle targeting a spawning pair of chinook,
JUST TO CATCH THEM AND LET THEM GO.
Well, i could clearly see they were spawning, turning on the sides, washing the gravel away. These fish were on their last fin, had sore heads, white spots, yet these 3 people were targeting these poor fish that just needed to be left alone. Oh, almost forgot to mention, they were using large Vibrax Blue Fox Spinners...most people know that's not the best lure for that water. And, every time they hooked one, it was in the dorsal or tail. Grrr! I was furious..BUT...being the passive person that I am, I left it alone..but i shouldn't have. Besides, i didn't have a bullet-proof jacket with me :grin:

So I hear these three were from Salem, and one used to worked at GI Joes, some ex-baseball player. It's too bad Joes had to hire someone like that. But good thing he's not still there. I hope others realize not to bother these spawning fish. and leave them alone to do their thing.

[ 11-15-2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

·
Registered
803 Posts
What a waste! I think it's alot easier now to just step away make a short call to OSP etc. They can help sometimes. I would have probably done the same thing due to the fact that you never know what they would do if you confronted them. I still believe in Karma what goes around comes around.
It sure is fun to see those fish in action.
Fire :cheers:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Turn the scum in!!!!
:mad:

That's probably 3000 eggs that could be forever gone! How many of those 3000 fish will make it back? None if these idiots have their way.

SKP

·
Registered
130 Posts
hmm, ive seen this before, cant remember where, maybe with sublime on the rogue, :shrug: well there will always be those guys out on the river. one day messin it up for everyone.

just watch for those nasty ling cod that snap at your steelhead. they'll get ya everytime

1 - 4 of 4 Posts