IFish.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I know it depends on the hunting situation but what choke do you guys use in your gun for duck and goose I have always used IMP for duck and Full for goose what do you all think??? Am I on the right track.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Linejerk- there is only one person who can answer this and it's you. You never know exactly how load and choke combinations will pattern until you go pattern them. It's a real eye-opener and it's fun and easy. You may find that something closer to modified might pattern better with non-toxic shot. Dave

·
Registered
23,878 Posts
imp cyl for ducks over decoys, for pass shooting i have a imp mod extented in the 20 ga, 12 ga and 10ga with patterning

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Linejerk- there is only one person who can answer this and it's you. You never know exactly how load and choke combinations will pattern until you go pattern them. It's a real eye-opener and it's fun and easy. You may find that something closer to modified might pattern better with non-toxic shot. Dave
:agree:

For me modified works really well. But for different guns it is a case to case basis. Like Dave said it can be a real shock when you go pattern your gun using different chokes. So id go shoot a paper plate and see what you think....

·
Banned
945 Posts
A lot has to do with how you shoot (up close and personal, midrange, wayyy out there) I think the object your shooting at would be more related to shot size. Although choke can also have a factor in your shot size too....

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I use modified choke on ducks though there are numerous jump-shooting hunts in which I wish I had a more open bore as the shooting is very close.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thx guy's I am heading out after work to pattern my gun how far back should I be from the target to get the pattern???

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Cool thx guy's I am heading out after work to pattern my gun how far back should I be from the target to get the pattern???

Try numerous ranges and look at the differences in pattern. See what patterns best at certain ranges. What is the typical shot you would take while hunting? I would try most of them at that range. However the variety in range offers you the opportunity to see what your gun can accomplish with different chokes and pick the one you are most comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
It really has to do with how your individual gun patterns with the size/s of shot you're using.

That being said the old saw is pretty accurate that "Steel Shot patterns 1 choke TIGHTER than Lead shot" .

AND another thing is that chokes tend to pattern TIGHTER as the pellets get larger.

So, while you may like how your gun performs with a Full Choke with a medium sized shot, you may find that it patterns the same using a Mod. Choke using large shot sizes.

Steel shot for geese is generally pretty large stuff and often it will pattern well with a Mod. or Imp. Mod choke instead of a Full.

While Large sized Lead shot's patterns can actually "open up" using too tight of a choke, the risk of running too tight of a choke with Steel Shot in a fixed choke barrel is opening (swaging) it up, or in the case of screw-in tubes distorting and jamming the threads, sticking the choke tube in the barrel.:smash:

Lots of people handicap themselves by shooting too TIGHT a choke (and a smaller sized circular pattern) at close ranges.

For hunting Ducks over Decoys I like Imp. Cyl.

For big Geese I usually use a Mod. choke with 000 Steel Shot.

:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts