IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize this isn't the IFish FlyFishers area but there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this side and I need all of the help I can get.

I'm getting very frustrated with the lack of hook ups I'm getting and need all of the advice I can get. Please let me know what type of Flys , water conditions, retrieves, any and all information to assist me in hooking my first Salmon on the fly rod is very much appreciated.

And thanks to the FlyFishers you replied to my other post.

[ 09-30-2003, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: David Ulrich ]

·
Registered
13 Posts
keep in mind there are guys who do better than me but this is just what works for me. I personnally like smaller rivers. Don't fish the same water that the majority of gear fisherman fish, the big deep holes. You have to be more selective with the water that you fish simply because a flyrod is not as versitile and a spinning or casting outfit. What I look for is something that will impead a fishes progress up the river with some current, thats at a max 6' deep. The shallower the better. Preferably a small pocket so you know exactly where the fish is holding. if you can see 'em thats the best. As far as flys go I use the same fly 99% of the time it's just a peach colored egg pattern with a little krystal flash on it. I tie it onto a 9 to 10 foot leader. armed with this and a bag of 3/0 split shot I've managed to do OK. Just dead drift it down by the bottom, not on the bottom. And don't be afraid to lose a fly. Last saturday I fished for a few hours at Ceder creek and hooked 5 fish. unfortunatly for me I left my rod on the top of truck and drove out of the parking lot never to be seen again. So it looks like I'm done salmon fishing for awhile. Good luck, once you hook into a hot salmon on a fly rod it will be tough to throw gear again.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Silvers may eat your flies. Kings will be much tougher to catch.

Non traditional stuff with a flyrod is at times very effective on cohos.

How many guides have you heard of booking trips for fly gear on fall kings? You may find some to take your money, but very few if any actually advertise being able to produce fish very often.

Mark and the bait wrapped dog.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey,
I landed two hatchery coho on a fly this last sunday on the trask river. I was using a chrystal bugger in colors orange, and purple. Both fish absolutely hammered the fly. I was using an 8wt sage with a five foot sink tip. I was fishing a couple of holes that are at a maximum of eight feet deep. Just flopping it to the far bank and short stripping it back to me. It is very effective this time of the year if you can find fish up river that most people aren't fishing. I hope that this helps.
TB

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
It depends on the type of water you are fishing. I have caught MANY nooks on flies in the Sandy. Totally different from drift fishing. Sinking tip line is a must in my book - you have actually tickle their noses with the flies in order to get them to take. More oten than not, the take feels like you line is skipping over a jagged rock - once or twice. Find some fairly deep holding water and get the fly deep and get it there fast. Keep you line tight - it's a real toucy-feely game. If you feel ANYTHING that you even slightly suspect is abnormal, give it the iron! - One more thing - big bright flies.

ORS

[ 09-30-2003, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: OregonRedside ]

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I hooked a nice fall chinook about 5 years ago on the Trask, slaughterhouse hole....only later did I hear its pretty hard to do that. I think fast sinking tip lines are the way to go so your not wasting time trying to get your fly down there. Dont know about silvers but I think chinooks will take about anything bright and flashy as long as its in their face.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have flyfished for silvers quite a bit the past few years and have found them to be pretty willing to take a fly. I use sinking tip line and a long leader (probably around 8 to 9 feet). Cast upstream, let the fly sink, and let it quarter down stream. I begin stripping line in after it the fly has swung downstream around 30 to 45 degrees. I've seen guys catch silvers on several different patterns so I'm not sure if the actual fly matters as much as getting the fly in front of a fish. I have had good luck with bead head wooly buggers in black, olive, and brown (around size 8). I've had much better luck with smaller flies than larger ones. Keep the fly near the bottom and be prepared for a vicious strike. I'm no expert - just my observations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts