IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
39,307 Posts
Tough call without better photos. First photo is look like the gum line is white where the teeth emerge, second, can't tell. Tail looks Coho. I'm going with Coho. Might make a different call on the river bank.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I agree the photos are marginal for determining which species. The bright light/shadow contrast makes both the gumline and tail hard to see. I'd be looking for the color of the gum right under the teeth and for the presence or absence of spots on the lower half of the tail.

Reactions: kcole91

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tough call without better photos. First photo is look like the gum line is white where the teeth emerge, second, can't tell. Tail looks Coho. I'm going with Coho. Might make a different call on the river bank.
Hard to see from the pic, but what added to the confusion is that there were only spots on the upper part of the tail. Some of the teeth had white around the base and a couple of them had a little black/gray.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
100% chinook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Chinook definitely, Cohos do not have adipose fins.

Bet you thought it would slip through to page 2 did ya?

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Gum line inconclusive. Tail shot unclear. Did it have a sleek, shiny tail or did it have little ripples across the rays of the tail? Could be a cross breed?

Great minds think alike. That was my second thought. My first reaction was 'nook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should have included a little more detail in my original post. This fish has teeth coming out of a white gum line and also out of a black or mottled gray gum line in the back. It has smaller spots and only had spots on the upper portion of the tail. The eggs were very small, eye was larger and spots were much smaller than the much bigger Chinook I caught later that day. I didn't check the tail for texture. It had many characteristics of a Coho, but the gum line was like a Chinook with the exception of teeth emerging from white portions of the gum line. So my question is with tooth coming from black = Chinook and tooth coming from white = Coho, then if it has both what do you do? BTW, both species were legal where I was fishing;)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts