IFish.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to sh air there chili recipe??? sounds good to me on a cold night.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
This one is really good, Norski. It's a variation of one that won the 40th annual chili cook-off in Omaha, Nebraska. You can add cayenne pepper to your own taste. If there aren't a few beads of sweat to wipe off your brow...it's not hot enough. It's a little work but well worth it! :twocents: :food:

Ingredients

3 pounds beef tri-tip, chopped
2 ounces sausage
1 ounce rendered beef fat
1 large red onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 green pepper chopped
1/2 ounce salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 ounces Pasilla chili powder
1/2 ounce California chili powder
1/2 ounce New Mexico powder
1/2 ounce cumin
1/2 teaspoon pequin powder
1-2 (14) ounce cans chicken broth
1 six ounce can tomato sauce
Cayenne pepper to taste (you can always add more later)

Instructions

Saute onion and green pepper in rendered beef fat in a 3 quart pot. Add garlic powder and half of chili powder. Add half a can of chicken broth, mix well and set aside. Brown sausage and beef in a skillet about one pound at a time. Drain and add meat to onion mix. Add remaining chili powder and remaining can of chicken broth. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Add tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper and pequin powder. Add more broth as needed and cook until meat is tender, about two to three hours. :cheers:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've had this recipe for years. I got it from the newspaper, and it stands as my tried and true recipe. You need to start the night before by soaking your beans,

ORIGINAL TACO HOUSE CHILI: (makes 1 gallon)

3 lbs. stewmeat cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 large onion
3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 1/2 Tbs. garlic
9 Tbs. chili powder. (get it at Costco. This is a large amount of chili powder)
1 Tbs. oregano
1 Tbs. cumin
1 6oz can tomatillas pureed (I omit this. Too much trouble for me, But it's in the recipe)
1 12-14oz. can diced tomatoes
2 cups water

BEANS FOR CHILI:
1 lb. pinto beans
4 TBS paprika
1 tsp. garlic
water
1 TBS salt

Start the beans first since they take longer than the chili.

Cover beans (which have been soaked) with water. Add paprika and garlic. Cook till beans done (about 2-3 hours) I usually just put my beans in the crockpot on high.

In the meantime, brown the meat and onions; add salt, red pepper, garlic, chili pwd., chili pepper, oregano, and cumin. Braise to partially cook the meat and onion. Add tomatillas, tomatoes and water. Simmer till meat is tender, approximately 1 1/2 ours.

Combine beans and meat prior to serving. Yields approximately 1 gallon.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So many good ideas here. More things for me to try? :food:

I love adventures in eating and cooking, don't you? So much fun to experiment.:pray:

Win some, lose some?:passout:

Linda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts