IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought both of mine used. I have not had any problems, but don't want any. Is there any way to assess the condition of your freezer? Is there any preventative maintenance to be done? How long can I depend on one?

I have warm up alarms in both freezers, but losing either my bait or food freezer would be at best very inconvenient, at worst a disaster.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you keep the back of the freezer (outiside) clean they should last until the compressor fails, or another Mecanical part fails. If you start to hear funny noises it is time to put it on Craigslist or Energey Trust NW and use the 50$ towards a new one!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
We just gave away a 21 cubic foot chest freezer that was running good. We got it as a wedding present 39 years ago! Replaced it with two 21 cubic foot uprights, but it was running good when it went to a new home!

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
I have one in my garage that my folks bought when I was about five, I'm forty seven. It's still chillin jus fine...

Have another I bought in 2000 and it's still chillin too...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I think all the new era freezers are in the 5yrs to no more then 10yrs life expectancy range. And by "new" I mean Energy Star which basically they all are these days. In order to get the high efficiency Energy Star rating the only way to do it is by smaller motors/compressors. Pre-energy star days the motors were much, much larger and that is the 20+yrs life freezers.

It's apples and oranges now. If you have an "old" (pre-energy star era) it could last 20yrs. If it's a "new" era freezer think 5-10yrs.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I too have one that is 30 plus years old it works great. I defrost every two years wether it needs it or not...

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Take care of it - Mine lasted about 25 years. Still working when I sold it - I was moving and it was cheaper to replace than ship it.

·
Premium Member
16,600 Posts
Re: the question about preventative maintenance. The motor and condenser coils should be kept clean. Either use a vacuum or compressed air, rather than a whisk broom. I have 2 chest freezers, one of which is from the 50s. It still only costs $11/month to run, whereas a new one would cost $6. I figure it wouldn't pay to replace it...

·
Registered
418 Posts
The one in my basement was bought in 1974, moved it four times and clean and defrost once a year.
I hope this wont curse me for bragging about the Old Amana! :whistle:

·
Registered
536 Posts
And I thought my old 22 cu ft Sears was special-- 34 years and still chugging along when I got on the energy saving band wagon!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
we have a 40 year old chest freezer up in the san juans that just has salmon carks in it for crab bait. we only get up there a couple of times a year. we are dreading the day when we arrive and the little red light is not lit. we should probably replace the freezer before that stinky day comes.

jamie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts