IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually don't post my kills, I am not a good story teller is the main reason. This buck is however so different I thought it worthy too share. The buck is what they call a cactus buck, he lacked testicles. Hopefully he is tasty, a deer steer.
I got him on Monday in the Steens, I had seen him the year before with a buck that I was really after. I was really ill and probably should not have been hunting but I did anyway. He was actually the smaller of three bucks but was so interesting I took him instead.
He is a 6X5. On one side has a large fork, seperate spike and a massive base and on the other just a large spike with the really massive base. Still in velvet, probably always would have been. The bone seems thin underneath the velvet.

·
Registered
5,845 Posts
Well that is certainly a novelty! Pretty cool to be able to harvest such a rare animal. Congrats! Besides, it's not like he was gonna make any fawns. Cougar probably got 'em....:flowered: Are you gonna have him mounted?

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is certainly a novelty! Pretty cool to be able to harvest such a rare animal. Congrats! Besides, it's not like he was gonna make any fawns. Cougar probably got 'em....:flowered: Are you gonna have him mounted?
I caped him to be mounted but I am not sure yet. I am leaning to yes but its some bucks to do so and our house is not that big. I have a big Roosie mounted that has to sit on the floor right now. Then again I have no room left in the garage, its wall to wall horns with skulls in corners. One of these days I am going to have to stop keeping them.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Awesome looking rack..

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
"He was actually the smaller of three bucks but was so interesting I took him instead."

That's too cool! Way to go on your trophy. :)

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
did it have both its Gonads? I have read about deer like that get hurt younger and it causes some problems with horn development (cactus buck) rp

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
. . .I got him on Monday in the Steens, I had seen him the year before with a buck that I was really after. I was really ill and probably should not have been hunting but I did anyway. He was actually the smaller of three bucks but was so interesting I took him instead.. . .
Great job Brian! That is one interesting set there, the horns that is.

By the way, you don't look sick in that picture. The deer does though. :wink:

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Very cool buck. You held my interest in reading your story. I like them short stories. I pass up those "Charles Dickens" story tellers. Hope you're feeling better today. Gonna mount the horns?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Brian, congrats on a very unique deer. When I was younger, I always dream about a cactus buck. It seems a lot of them end up being a spike on one side. At least that is what I have observed over the years through various pictures and articles.

·
The Measurer
2,671 Posts
Brian-

Yet another cactus buck taken in the Steens over the last few decades. It's "interesting" how many have come out of that area that I know of, let alone that I don't.

It was rumored a long time ago that ranchers were catching and casterating...lol I can't imagine why...maybe they eat too much hay/alfalfa...then the rumor was 4 strand bobed-wire vs. 3-strand....

Basically, there are a lot of theories. Biologically, I'd love to hear a biologist give us some insight as to why so many like this in that area.

Cactus bucks will carry their velvet all year long, and from what I understand, they don't ever shed their antlers.

Note to all, for what it's worth, these types of bucks can NOT be entered into B&C or P&Y.

Let us all know if you discover any other abnormalities during the processing of this animal...very curious.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ommedia, the only other abnormality was that his teets were larger than normal. The testes were plain gone, no scar I could see on the sack. I would say he was born that way.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Cool buck - I don't think I have ever seen one of those in Oregon. Seems you see them out of Utah more often - thanks for posting it will make a nice trophy!!

·
Registered
800 Posts
In our camp a guy killed a buck with no balls!!!! Not a cactus however he was still in velvet. We were not in the Steens but close.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I am no deer testicle expert. Wow I wonder who is?

Humans sometimes, the testicles will not descend. Also if they are not making testosterone they tend to get pretty nondescript.

Might be the same with deer. Might not be any trauma at all.

Deer Urology 101

DW

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I bet he had a lovely castrato voice... :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts