IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,955 Posts
Review of Coors Light from an Aussie beer snob for your amusement:

Smell: Wet grass, vegetable aroma, corn husk, some grain that reminds me of porridge. malt sweetness. Smells like a typical adjunct lager beer.

Taste: Grains, slight floral flavour, sparkling water with a bit of beer in it. Honestly tastes like a mineral water shady. Hard to pick up any major flavour notes.

Feel:
Watery, carbonated, Would be mistaken for a flavoured mineral/soda water. I suppose it would be refreshing when it's hot and the beer is ice cold, but so can a glass of water, or cold mineral water.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Back in the early 70's in New Orleans you could buy a dozen shucked Oysters and a pitcher of Dixie or Pearl Beer for $2.50 during happy hour. Both tasted outstanding under the circumstances. Was with my beautiful first wife before she got meaner than a Coon in a #1 Blake and Lamb, long spring.

·
Registered
39,363 Posts
.444..... Stay out of Texas......

After Modelo was mentioned, I went to the store.... like three days ago. It isn't cheap but it is very good.

Nobody mentioned, Blitz. Yum..... They changed how it was made and it affected the flavor, maybe around 1968. Drank a lot of "stuff" along the path, searching. Hamm's became a staple for the group. Henry's was the next in line. You know what happened after that......

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Deschute's Brewery Twilight Ale 5% is on sale for $3.98 a 6 pack at Winco! Shouldn't tell anyone as it's an excellent light ale at half price, but I'm heading back to the elk woods for a couple weeks, and it will be gone when I return.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Worthy Strata, 10 barrel Joe, Sunriver vicious Mosquito, Sunriver Rippen, Boneyard RPM. Too many choices to choose from.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Deschute's Brewery Twilight Ale 5% is on sale for $3.98 a 6 pack at Winco! Shouldn't tell anyone as it's an excellent light ale at half price, but I'm heading back to the elk woods for a couple weeks, and it will be gone when I return.
That's an awesome price fro really good beer.

·
Registered
469 Posts
We bought some Tecate Mexican Beer when in Arizona a few months ago. A 30 pack was $15. Like drinking flavored water. If you are in for that beer buzz, gotta drink at least a 6 of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It used to be Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve. It was what all of my Oregon friends drank growing up Then they were bought by Molson, which closed down the brewery and changed the recipe and location, which changed the taste. We all moved on to other beers, which are easy to find in this state, fortunately. Way to go, Molson. Take thriving local favorites, buy them, shut down the local breweries, and change everything that the locals liked about them. No wonder their market share went down. Although, if they put a fraction of the advertising budget into them that they do on crap like Bud Light, maybe they could have generated additional sales. Henry’s used to have memorable commercials before the buyout.

These days, I drink 10 Barrel Pub Beer, Anchor Steam, Coors Banquet, Red Can, and Chelada for cheap stuff.

·
Registered
7,096 Posts
Then they were bought by Molson, which closed down the brewery and changed the recipe and location, which changed the taste. We all moved on to other beers, which are easy to find in this state, fortunately. Way to go, Molson. Take thriving local favorites, buy them, shut down the local breweries, and change everything that the locals liked about them. No wonder their market share went down.
You forgot the part about that In 1979, Blitz-Weinhard was sold to the Pabst Brewing Company, which sold it to Stroh Brewing Company in 1996. Stroh's sold the Henry Weinhard's brand to Miller Brewing Company, which moved all Henry's brewing operations to the Olympia Brewery in Tumwater, Washington. Miller Coors didn’t sit the brewery down , they just bought the brand. They even brewed some of the Henry brands at Full Sail in Hood River. Miller Coors tried to expand the line up and take the brand national but there was minimal interest outside of the PAC NW.
If your going to place blame on Henry’s demise put it on the craft beer movement in the west which really put the nail in the coffin of Henry’s .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ahhh,
Good Ol' Henry Weinhards....
Those were the days when old town PDX smelt of mash and such!
The tours through the brewery were epic , with a movie theater to watch the old commercials!
Not to mention the tasting room!!!!
What a grand Oregon Tradition long since gone.

At about age 21 or so...
At the once upon time hole in the wall Portland Brewing Co. brewery on Nw 15 th st or so....
A buddy and I ran into a couple of Henry"s brewers on break...
drinking a beer!
They gave us an Un official tour....
And left us alone in the tasting room for what seemed like hours!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I thought for sure Keystone was the go-to cheapo Dick Dastardly beer in Oregon. God knows I find enough empty cans of it in the clearcuts when I am elk or deer hunting in the coast range. I would never drink it, but on a hot summer day I guess even a Keystone has its pestilent appeal.

PS: Stroh's is a Motor City cheapo beer, Little Kings is for guys from New Jersey, PBR is the cheapo midwestern beer, Coor's is the cheapo beer of Colorado, Olympia was always the cheapo Washington beer (it's the water).

81 - 100 of 124 Posts