IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fishing out of Chrleston for the Coho opener tomorrow?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well..
The seas were a bit bigger than first espected!... But we managed.. :sick: :sick: :sick: some beter than other.. I spent most f the time :sick: :sick: but that's the ocean!

We hookd 14 fish. landed 8 coho.. 2 wild and 6 hatchery.. and broke off one very nice chinook at the boat!.. It actually broke a Crane snap swivel.!! :depressed:
We also put three crab pots in about 50' on the way out.. all three were full of legal sized female crabs.. only two legal males..

And the bar was a bit bumpy coming back in.. :sick:

But we were back by 10am.. w/ six nice hatchery coho!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Well we went out for tuna on sunday, due to the SST charts and they ended up being a fluke. It was showing 60-62 water at 30 miles. Lets just say they were more like 55-57. So we turned around to head back in for a salmon and blew a water pump. Thank goodness we don't make those trips alone, but 5 mph makes for a long ride back.

I heard a lot of people did really well this weekend in charleston. When we hit the docks finally people were trucking around coolers all over and I saw several nice chinook also. Had one buddy go to windy bay and he didn't fare as well. He also noted that he didn't see a whole lot caught around him, but other than that I didn't hear anything else from there. Guess I'll have to head out after work this week a couple of times.

tc

·
Registered
330 Posts
We were at Winchester Bay for the weekend. We caught 6 Chinook and 8 Coho. Had our limit by 1:30pm Sat for 3 people. Sunday we had a limit of 8 for four people by 1pm. Lost several and returned 10 or so Wild.

Set out crab pots and they were packed full of females. We had a total of 4 keeper males out two days with 3 pots.

Was a great weekend for fishing and not so good for crabbing!

Could have had a BBQ at the fueling station when a boat caught fire while fueling. It was all under but the bow. Luckly no one was injured and the fuel dock was spared. Looked like a small comercial fishing boat. I guess the bilge fumes ignited. Had to have a crane pull it out.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
We ended up with 1 male keeper crab out of 2 pots in Windy Bay, but did end up limiting out Sunday and running out of bait on saturday. Both days we were back by 9am. 3 Saturday, 6 Sunday. Couldnt find the big chinook, only a few feeders about 20" long. Most Coho between 8-10 lbs, but 2 12-14#. Got 4 native coho that were a wild fight. It was just nice to be out on the sea again.

[ 06-23-2003, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: outdoor.spec.ops ]

·
Registered
311 Posts
We fished Winchester on Saturday. After diddling around for coho with the fleet for awhile, and losing bait and catching a few midget coho, we went back to the buoy line. In five passes by the red can, we boated four chinook, all in the 20 pound category. Wish I'd a had more people, because the kings were definitely in there. All were caught with plug cut herring on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Nice job on the Kings, I tried fishing by the can a few times, but the steady stream of boats was just making it tough when I was out there.

[ 06-23-2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: outdoor.spec.ops ]

·
Registered
311 Posts
We got back to the can about 8:00 am and the traffic wasn't too bad. The ebb chop was getting a little nasty but, other than that....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts