IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first chainsaw 2 years ago, and I have probably run 12-15 tanks of gas through it. Besides sharpening I haven't done any maintenance. I got to thinking whether I should be doing any cleaning, filter changes etc? Anyone recommend a general maintenance schedule for their saw? It just doesn't seem to run like it used to. It takes twice as long to start and warm up, and even longer for the chain to start going.

I have a stihl wood boss 18 inch bar.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Changing the spark plug and blowing out the air filter is all I ever do to my saws and I have some that have run for thousands of hours.
I do take off the side plate and clean out around the chain and oiler frequently when cutting Christmas Trees as it gets full of grass and doesn’t allow the sawdust to blow out freely.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Clean air filter regularly . Clean debris out of groove in bar often. Don’t leave ethanol fuel in for long periods of non use.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Clean the air filter, maybe run a little Sea Foam in gas, take the chain cover, and chain off to clean all the bar oil and sawdust build up around the clutch, lower the rakers with a flat file if you have only been sharpening the chain. Clean the bar groove and lube the tip roller . Change the spark plug. Use only good quality 2 stroke oil. I have always used Husqvarna oil. Do the above and she should start up, run, and cut like like new.

·
Registered
7,502 Posts
Everybody pretty much nailed it. I only run Stihl HP ultra for mix. Has a fuel treatment already in it. And as the owner of the saw shop I use said. There is a reason they extend the warranty on saws for 3 years if you use it. It works.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just what i was looking for, thanks guys.

Has anyone tried the "all in one" chain/raker sharpener stihl advertises? Thanks again!

·
Registered
37,296 Posts
Dump the existing gas out of the tank. Pour in some Acetone in the tank, shake, dump. Do not start the saw while Acetone is in the tank. Fill with clean gas. Might want to change the primer bulb....

·
Registered
7,502 Posts

Has anyone tried the "all in one" chain/raker sharpener stihl advertises? Thanks again!
I havent. But look online for the Pferd model. I think they make Stihls. They get great reviews

Ive been considering the carbide burr style made in Idaho. Expensive but from what I hear they are excellent.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Yes I tried it. Easy to use and I can now get the chain very sharp. Prior to that sharpener, I could never get the chain sharp free handing it. I use a vise to hold the chainsaw bar while sharpening. Make sure you get the model that fits your chain specifications.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The Timberline Saw Sharpener will probably work OK. Over over the years I have tried all kinds of on-the-bar sharpening devices, some of which worked OK. But there are reasons that saw shops use bench mounted sharpeners; much faster, more consistent sharpening, and adjustability features that no on-the-bar sharpener will have. A few years ago I ordered a Tecomec Evo bench/wall mounted chain grinder (120 volt) from Bailey's ($199.00). If you use a chain saw often this is the way to go! You do have to read all of the specs that are listed on the box that a new chain comes in, and study the owner's manual for the sharpener; there is a learning curve. But when you master it your chains will be factory sharp every time. I wish I had passed up the Mickey Mouse sharpeners years ago and got a bench mounted sharpener.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A couple of things I saw missing in the responses was to clean the screen on the spark arrester. It is located in the muffler. If it becomes clogged it will back pressure the exhaust and slow the saw down. Second there is a small hole at the sprocket end of the chain bar for injecting lubricant into the sprocket. There is a small "grease" gun you can get for that...Oregon brand has a couple...under $10.

Also on two cycle engines it really helps to clean out the carbon build up by using Sea Foam in the gas and periodically run it full strength through the carb with the Sea Foal spray. Follow instructions. It is like giving the saw or other 2 cycle motors a tune up. The engine will smoke like crazy when you restart...that is good.

The subject of sharpening came up and I have had good success using a Dremel tool with the chain saw bits and sharpening right on the saw freehand. Most chains have the correct angle stamped right on each tooth. After all it is a chainsaw, not a carving chisel or razor blade. A cordless Dremel is even better for touch ups out in the field.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Yes I tried it. Easy to use and I can now get the chain very sharp. Prior to that sharpener, I could never get the chain sharp free handing it. I use a vise to hold the chainsaw bar while sharpening. Make sure you get the model that fits your chain specifications.
This is my experience as well. My saws are getting a workout this year between all the maples dying and now this ice mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

Yes, they work great. I ended up buying additional ones for the rest of my chain sizes after using the first one. You’ll need a vise to clamp your bar in place while sharpening.

Clean the air filter regularly, clean under the side cover, use quality bar oil, run CLEAR FUEL only, and utilize Stihl HP ultra fuel mix. Run sharp chains.

·
Registered
16,183 Posts
A sharp chain does no good if you install it backward. Don’t ask how I know.
Watched a buddy of mine in a logging show, pole walk and snip, all he got was the bark to fly off!! LOL

·
Registered
37,296 Posts
I was trying to cut the roots on a stump I was taking out. Was able to test how strong the winch was and if the line lock worked. Could slide all four tires on blacktop.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have four Stihls, from little to big. The smaller ones got a workout the last two days, they start up on the third pull cold and one when warm. All I do is blow out the aircleaner once in a while and clean out all the crevices when the covers are off. Nothing but clear gas in them since new. I had an old 64cc Farm Boss for over 35 years, I sold it because it was non AV, but that started fine too. If you dont get it running smoothly after cleaning the filter, it might need a carburetor adjustment. If you are not comfortable doing that the dealer can check it out for you. There isn't much that can go wrong with these saws. Checking your owners manual under trouble shooting might give a clue also.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts