IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cedar plank for grillin\'

Does anyone know for a fact if the cedar boards that are sold at Home Depot or other places have any chemicals on them? I was watching a cooking show (stop laughing please...) and they said that most boards are treated. I think they said that in order to get people to buy special planks from food stores.
HD sells fence boards and other boards pretty cheap.
What does everyone think?

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Re: cedar plank for grillin\'

Get them at Fred Meyers in the seafood department. I think you get two grilling boards for $4.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

I bought 2 grade 2 untreated cedar fence boards for $1.78. Each board is five feet long. You will get a lot cooking for less than 2 bucks. I used one last night and the fish was excellent. Just make sure you ask for untreated boards. My meighbor owns a fence company and that is all he ever uses.

[ 05-04-2003, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Stz ll ]

·
Registered
697 Posts

I get mine in Sandy at the Ceder mill. On your left about 4 miles out of Sandy on the way to Mt Hood.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Port Orford cedar is treated, cedar rake shakes, and roofing shakes are treated.

I've stuck with scraps of rough sawn 1x6 western red cedar which is typically manufactured in Canada and have been lucky so far.. you might run into a board or two which has linseed oil and cedar oil or even formaldehyde additives...the more merlot or chardonnay you drink, the less you notice the aftertaste of these chemicals (good palette cleansers are essential, even if you dont use as much fresh garlic and chives as I)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts

One way to plank salmon is using a fresh-cut alder slab. You drop a large alder and cut a butt block about a foot longer than your fish or fillet. Split the chunk in half, take one of the halves and peg or nail the fish or fillet to the open face, thick part to the top of the slab, tail towards the bottom, lean it up facing the coals...and cook. It takes a large tree to accomodate a whole split fish...fillets are usually a better idea unless you have access to old growth alder :wink: .

Fresh-cut alder wood won't burn and it won't impart any resin or pitchy taste to the fish. :cool:

[ 05-04-2003, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: GutshotApe ]

·
Registered
2,703 Posts

KillerDave. I just want to let you know I was bald before I started using the boards. :grin:

·
Registered
437 Posts

Last year, I bought some 1" x 6" x 5 foot rough cut cedar fence boards for grillin' (for $1 each on sale) at Parr Lumber. Sounds exactly like the boards STZ II is talking about.

Everyone that came over for salmon last year is still coming around this year, so the boards must have been OK. However, for some strange reason this year everyone is bald, even the wives, kids and dogs.

I don't think cheapo fence boards are treated, as treating costs $$$. If you buy them from a lumberyard, they'll know.

Gutshot, I'm all over your idea at my upcoming steelhead ripfest/camping trip!

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Yeah, I was bald before I started using this board...sane too. err, oh you mean cedar boards? Disregard.

·
Registered
12,405 Posts

Did some springer on a Maple board last week.....mmmm MMMM!

·
Registered
130 Posts

I'm in the sawmill industry. Unless you really are into ingesting some fairly serious anti sapstain heavy metal based chemical, (check out Sta Brite P from Buckman laboratories) gang saw oil used to lubricate saws and a variety of other unpleasant substances, stick to the boards they sell specifically for cooking.

·
Registered
535 Posts

My wife cooked up a bunch of chicken thighs on cedar planks just like you do the fish , something different and it turned out awesome got to love it!!!PEACE

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Salmonlips,
So you're saying that even if there is no treatment done to it, stuff ends up on it during the cutting process?

·
Registered
130 Posts

Jonah R - That is exactly what I mean. In a typical sawmill, the planks (actually 4/4 boards) would be cut on a circular gang saw or one a machine known as a resaw, both lubricated with water, air and a form of oil similar to rock drilling oil. The board is then surfaced to the thickness they wish to sell, usually .750" or fence board thickness. During this surfacing process an anti sap stain, anti mold solution is sprayed on the board. This stuff is really bad news. Mixed incorrectly it will rot cotton gloves in less than one shift of handling the stuff. Maybe I'm being a little paranoid but I'll make an uneducated guess that the boards sold for food prep are probably cut in the conventional manner and then sanitized to remove at least most of the residue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts