IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried cedar plank salmon cooking on the barbie today. It was good. I think an alder plank would be better. Does anyone know where to get alder planks or boards to make them? In Salem, I went to Home Depot, Sportsman's Warehouse, and Fred Meyers, and finally found the cedar planks at Freddies. I would really like to try this cooking method with alder planks.

Any suggestions where to find them, or where they sell boards to cut your own?

SKP

·
Registered
143 Posts
Plank salmon is one of my favorite ways to cook it. I used to use cedar, but found out that there are residual chemicals left over on the fence boards I was using-so much for cedar. Now, I just cut a fresh piece of alder off a green round-doesn't need to be soaked and has no chemicals. Tastes great! Not as strong a woody flavor as the cedar, but generates plenty of smoke. I top the salmon off with mayonnaise and garlic...Yummmm.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ive been using "Jack Daniels Smoking Chips"....fairly husky chunks of oak whiskey barrels....the very same ones they used to make the whiskey in. Great smoke, wonderfull flavor. Does a fine fillet. Russ

·
Registered
19,953 Posts
SKP, find yourself a big alder log and slab it with a chain saw. Once you get a slab cut you can trim it up with a circular saw. It doesn't have to be perfect to do the job. Most milled alder is used in furniture making,which makes it kind of spendy. Don't forget to soak it in water before grilling.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts