IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cedar Creek..I got there late Sunday about 7:00 am, and that was considered late based on the # of cars in the parking lot, and from where I had to park it must have been a mile to the mouth at the least. Lots of Chrome Fish! I saw lots of Prossional looking fisherman, some from out of state and some local. These guys were drifting eggs further up in the faster water, and mostly hooking inside the mouth, one guy with the highests standard would not keep a fish that was not hooked on the tounge inside the mouth, he considered the side of the mouth a foul snag.

The weekend should be the most primo fishing ever, with lots of rain and a full moon. The cars will probably be backed up to the main rd. I wonder if KATU will be out?, getting some footage of what's happening with the local fishing scene, I'd like to see them capture a more positive aspect of whats happening.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Were you fishing the upper end of "the hole"in the pocket water? I fished sunday afternoon and didnt notice any obvious snagging. Lots of people who didnt have a clue on how to salmon fish though. Must be the articles in the paper...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Give me a break on the side of the mouth thing! Rarely do I catch a spinner caught fish that isn't hooked in the corner of the mouth. Does that mean they aren't taking the lure? Not at all! And I am no snagging advocate.

Come to think of it most of my egg/corkie caught fish, or fly caught fish for that matter, aren't hooked down in the gills or on the tongue. What gives?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Thats what I was thinkin, the sandy river....When he said no snaggers in sight, I knew something was not right :grin:

·
Premium Member
14,483 Posts
i saw it last year and more of it this year: folks who are new to the sport hiking in with hopeful gleams in their eyes. tell tale signs: 6' trout pole, a pocket full of blue fox spinners still in the packaging, a package of store-bought pretied leaders, all sorts of inappropriate and less-than-hardcore-fisherperson identifiers. i think a lot of the "snagging" that goes on there is simply guys who don't know what they're doing and probably don't know the regulations. they were told by a buddy who read it in the oregonian or somewhere else so they figure they're going to go get themselves a few of these salmon that everyone is talking about.

my first trip was a little better: i was coached on what to buy. i had a decent rod and a levelwind bass reel from twenty years ago, 12lb test, neoprene waders (although bootfoot, duck hunting style), and a fair selection of the various tackle. when my buddy told me to buy "dime" sized corkies, i got them the size of an actual dime, not a size 10. this identified me as a true rookie to the sport despite my other trappings. i didn't hook any fish that day but did take a handoff from my buddy. the next weekend, not only did i hook and land my own fish, i even gave a handoff back to the guy that got me started.

then i found ifish and learned what fishing in the northwest is really about.

·
Registered
77 Posts
get this, i was hiking out and got to the top of the hill just before the parking lot, and there was the family or group with a mom in a wheel chair. "You ever been here before" i said. "Nope". nuff said. i told em i wouldn't even think about it, but they were gung huh on going down. i just hope that they got to gate and turned around.

PS I have never in my life seen so much trash down there. pack it in pack it out.

As far as some of the things that was seen down there, I get perfect cell phone coverage down there. For example i came upon a smolt or trout whatever it was with its head cut off and thrown up near the bushes. its not hard to tell it was a game fish.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cedar Creek, Sandy River, Sandy OR,

Much more snagging going on last year. Last year I saw a dad with 3 boys, the boys catch a fish hooked on the back of the neck. The dad quickly grabs the net and swoops the fish out and throws the hole thing up on the bank and the hook comes out while it was in the net. the dad grabs a big rock and smashes the head of the fish. I saw this happen 3 times, nobody said anything Last year.

This year this would not have happend, more people watching and policing and watching everyone! Good Job Here!

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've been down there numerious times this fall and have the opportunity of observing what is going on. By and large, as best I can tell, the snagged fish are being returned to the river. Most people are releasing them while still in the river.

My experience has been that if you choose to fish with spinners, you ARE GOING TO SNAG FISH! For most of the fisherman, it's not something you are trying to do, it JUST HAPPENS. The majority of the people at Cedar Creek are fishing with spinners and therefore snagging fish. Even drift fishing with eggs and smaller nooks, you still can SNAG fish. Maybe 1 out of 10 fish landed with spinners are legally caught, if that many. Each time someone has one on, you think to yourself, another snagged fish.

I only post this, because my experience down there this fall, is that most of the people down there, are law abiding citizens, just trying to catch a fish. Some are just plan ignorant of the fact that snagged fish cannot be kept. Yesterday I had a guy next to me, who was obviously very new to the sport, ask my why we were releasing a fish that had been snagged (using eggs). He just plain didn't know!

Now, if we could people to help carry out all the trash!

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
GLF has got it right, most people down there are just trying to catch a fish, not snag them, they just don't have the experience to use other fishing methods that result in fewer snagged fish. Unfortunately, spinners are what many people are using because they don't have the experience to use anything else, and spinners/spoons SNAG fish. Last year a buddy of mine saw this guy snagging fish after fish, releasing them, but getting pretty frustrated. He was using spinners. So my buddy went down there and gave him a bobber and some eggs he had left. The guy started catching fish legally in the mouth and was very appreciative. One less "snagger" at Cedar Creek.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Fishn...
Those people with the wheel chair made it all the way to the bottom. :shocked: The kid that was pushing looked like he was going to go into cardiac arrest. What I want to know is how the heck did they get that chair back out of there?
:shrug:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know how they would get her out. Carry her i guess. Talked to my buddy and he saw the same thing and warned them as well. I guess they went to oxbow first and they were told they couldn't enter because they had a dog. I guess they really wanted to fish.

One of the funniest things i've seen down there happened a couple of years ago. We were following this group of about 5-7 fisherman, i can't remember exactly, and we found out that they had obviuosly fished down there before. They had came prepared with those plastic grocery bags so that they could cross cedar creek. I shouldn't laugh at people that can't afford certain equipment but that one I will always remember.

PS it was a slow day. I caught a couple but they went back in the river that day becuase they were just a little dark.

·
Banned
3,904 Posts
Grandpa Loves to Fish,

I don't know about Cedar Creek on the Sandy but coho hit spinners real well in the rivers I fish coho in Washington.
Up there you have to use a single siwash hook in some of the rivers this time of year but you still foul hook one on ocassion. But I probably hook 10 coho that strike the spinner for every 1 that I foul hook.

Dan

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Snagging with spinners all depends on where you are fishing. If it's a hole with a bunch of worn out stacked fish that aren't biting, you'll snag them. If it's faster moving water with fresh fish, you won't. Yesterday Chuckdog, his brother in law and myself picked up 9 on spinners (one was actually a summer steelhead) and did also have one snagged fish. Typically we won't snag any. I've found that I'm actually more likely to snag a silver if I am drift fishing.

Also caught a 10th fish on a MJ wiggle wart!

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
fisheromen is right. The type of water definitely matters, and in this case it's a long slow moving pool, just perfect for snagging. We killed 'em this summer (steelhead) on spinners and snagged very few, if any most days, but we too were fishing faster water. Right now though, it's seems that there's just sooo many fish that buy pulling a treble hook through there guys can't help but snag them. There are quite a few bobber fishermen as well, and most are fishing bobbers and eggs simply because nearly 100% of the fish hooked will be legal and legitimate "takes". I don't think GLtF is trying to deny the effectiveness of this technique, but it DOES result in many, many more snagged fish than does drift fishing or bobber fishing in this particular case (see post title: CEDAR CREEK). So there you have it, if your gonna fish Cedar Creek, put away those spinners and break out some bobber and eggs (unless your fishing the faster water, of course), you WILL snag less fish, leaving more biters in there for the rest of us. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
496 Posts
What about corkies? Are they effective in catching them legally or do they snag as well? I was there on 10/6 and the guy next to me was using corkies and he was having mixed results. Any thoughts???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts