IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sandy River Chapter, ANWS is hosting a post Coho season river cleanup at the Cedar Creek hole.

Saturday, November 15th Join us at 8:00 am for donuts and coffee in the hatchery parking lot. Each participant will get a door prize ticket to be drawn after the clean-up.

Many of us "cleaned-up" on this Coho run, now it's time to clean-up after ourselves.

If you plan to attened, please e-mail Snag via this forum. I'll need a rough headcount for the donuts and coffee.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Hey Snag, thanks for doing that. I picked up my usual quota of discarded mono on Sunday. Encouragingly, the area does not look as trashed as in past years (or maybe some concientious Ifishers were there before me?).

A side project you might want to consider is the erradication of the Japanese Knotweed that is taking hold below Cedar Creek, especially on the east bank flats, down around the 'house hole'. IF left unchecked it can potentially take over the whole river bank. It needs to be cut, removed so the cuttings don't re-root, and then herbicide applied to the cut stubs. I can put you in touch with an expert on this if you're interested in knowing more?

Trash is awful, I hate it, however, in terms of environmental impact, this invasive, foreign exotic is a much greater threat to the Sandy, and its future.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Snag,

I think this is the thing I did last year so now I'll be prepared by buying some wader gear.

Since I don't have any wader gear, what do folks recommend? Does that non-neoprene Gore-tex stuff really work? It's much mo'stylin than the "wet suit" stuff.

Footwear.

Can I get away (water depth) with just pants vs. the bibs?

This is really going to double as my fishing in the rain the boat gear with maybe an occasional drift boat/bank fishing trip.

Brion

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree on the knotweed problem. I think Americorp volunteers are spearheading the eradication efforts. The did a presentation for our chapter a year or so ago. I forget the exact specifics of the knotweed lifecycle, but eradicaton only works during a certain time of year. We should make sure they know about it at that location and see what and when we can help.

Thanks for helping out again Brion. Any old waders or hip boots will work. There is plenty of work to be had even without crossing the river. All are welcome, even the "wader-challenged"!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any thoughts on posting those anti-snagging signs during the clean-up? I'm open to the idea.

·
Registered
17,215 Posts
Snag, glad to hear you're on top of the Knotweed.

I'm not sure if Americorp volunteers are still working on it. The Americorp gal I know (Erin) who was working on it, has gone off to a paying job; plus I think the current adminstration may have de-funded the program :depressed: .

This fall I observe that the patches looked much more established.

I'll try to contact Erin and get the scoop on the current status of erradication efforts.

So much easier to get control of it now - before it spreads through the whole Sandy system and becomes a huge infestation.

·
Registered
670 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Brion,
I have a pair of the nylon pant style waders. They are nice, however, I find myself wishing I had chest waders some of the time. There were a couple of times this year when I crossed the sandy and got a little wet. Though, if you buy them big enough, you can hike them up to just under your rib cage, so they do work as chest waders temporarily.

And I agree, they are alot more stylish than the neoprene! :grin:

And I just wear old tennis shoes for footwear. I took the insoles out so they would fit my feet with the neoprene stocking that come on the waders.

--Skahorse

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
PS. Make sure you pick up your donut boxes and coffee cups! With this pinned to the top, with an offer of donuts, you'll get people! And with all those donut boxes and coffee cups, you'll need a another whole dumpster! :smile:

Jen

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Skahorse,

Sounds like the pants will be OK for me though I'll look at the bibs.

On the footwear, I'm looking for something warm since my real use for them is on the boat in spring and fall and maybe jumping out to fish from shore.

Brion

·
Administrator
119,699 Posts
Thanks, you guys, for cleaning up the bummage of rummage. :smile:

Jen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts