IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ya I fished cedar creek yeaster day no luck for me but i saw a couple of steeles caught, fishing has been kinda slow for the last couple of 3 to 4 days but hopefully the fishing improves I am just wondering if any body has been fishing up there latley and if so i want to kno

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
I was there on tue morn and it was very slow...not for lack of fisherman. Saw 4 nooks on the bank at least 2 of which were foul hooked. And yes I did report the fisherman and OSP is investigating. I will not put up with that kind of garbage if I see it on the river. All of us ethical fisherman should report these crimes and be willing to testify if need be.

Off the soap box it has been very slow the last couple of days.

Danger

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
danger: were you fishing at the lower pool where every body bobber fishis well that is where i always go when i was there on sunday 1 guy and his kid snaged 5

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Yes I was there when I saw the snag the fish, but I also fished down the riffle from there and at the mouth of the creek.

OSP really needs more of a presence down there. A plain clothes officer once a week and the word would get out. That would be a different fishery.

Dan

·
Banned
74 Posts
Perhaps the snagging problem would not be so prolific if people didn't create posts called Cedar Creek Report! Perhaps the snagging problem would not be so prolific if Cedar Creek didn't receive so much unneeded attention on places like ifish.

Coho Clint,
Perhaps fishing would not have been so slow if there were not so many fishermen. If there are 5 dozen fishermen fishing for 2 dozen AGGRESSIVE fish, fishing is going to suck. What's the point of telling the world that Cedar Creek is red hot? I would like you to answer that question.

If one "red hot" post causes 2 dozen guys to fish Cedar Creek and they each catch a fish that's 24 fish that won't be there for you to catch next time. not only that but if they catch fish once they'll keep heading back to Cedar Creek. There's the snowball effect. And YES, ifish does have that much of an impact on fishing. Had Cedar Creek not received so much attention recently you might have had more luck lately. You reap what you sow. If you bang the Cedar Creek drum for the whole world to read don't be surprised when fishing gets thin. I personally like multiple fish hook up days. Unfortunately the louder you and others ban the Cedar Creek drum here on ifish and other places the chances of multiple hook up days goes down for me you and everyone else! That's just a fact. It's a fact that I don't appreciate. Not to mention the garbage and crap that the masses leave behind.

Why do you and others have to mention specifically Cedar Creek? Or for that matter any other specific location? Why can't you just say the Sandy or better yet, a Portland area river? If there's a good reason I'd like to know it. I am honestly asking for you and others to enlighten me.
bryan

[ 06-13-2003, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Bryan ]

·
Registered
522 Posts
My step brother fishes there alot and has had meny 2 fish days. He was there yesterday and said he had 3 on and lost all of them.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Ok, first I must take a deep breath before I start saying some stuff that I will regret...

First off Bryan, I started steelhead/salmon fishing in March of this year. At a local GI Joes, I asked the best place to go fishing, first response, "Cedar Creek Fish Hatchery". This turned into pattern. Everyone was telling me to fish Cedar Creek area, it's only common sense. Where are the fish going? Huh, let's see...? The Fish Hatchery maybe? This was before I even knew about IFish. It's a hot place, people are going to congregate where fish are being caught. Look at Pipeline, look at the Garbage Hole, they aren't producing near as many fish, and they have at least a dozen people there when fishing is hot.

Ok now to what you are saying...
If one "red hot" post causes 2 dozen guys to fish Cedar Creek...
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Whether it's been posted on Ifish or not, I guarantee that there will be 2 dozen people at Cedar Creek this weekend. As a matter of fact, this particluar post chain is stating that Cedar creek has sucked lately, and guess what, there will still be over 2 dozen fisherman there this weekend.

Next...
And YES, ifish does have that much of an impact on fishing. Had Cedar Creek not received so much attention recently you might have had more luck lately.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Now, how can you be so sure about this? Have you been down there every weekend, surveying people.
"So, how did you find cedar creek fishing hole?"
If so I would like to see those published reports please...? Do not make assertations that you can not back up.
I personally like multiple fish hook up days. Unfortunately the louder you and others ban the Cedar Creek drum here on ifish and other places the chances of multiple hook up days goes down for me you and everyone else!
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Then go somewhere else! There's plenty of fish all over that whole river. It sounds to me that you are whining because you can not have the best water on the river all to yourself..

Why do you and others have to mention specifically Cedar Creek? Or for that matter any other specific location? Why can't you just say the Sandy or better yet, a Portland area river?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Now tell me this then Bryan, if we went to this, what would be the point of this board? Just to show off your trophys? Last I checked, the point of this board was to educate people. Allow them to share experiences, and teach those who don't know as much. Otherwise every post will be "Hey, look at me I caught 2 steelhead in oregon, isn't that nice?" And you might respond, "Well people can share hints about what they use, and new bait ideas..." Well, actually, next you will be complaing about that. "Don't tell them your are using Corkie and Shrimp, they'll catch all of my fish!"

The truth is Bryan, the population is growing, rivers are not. Every year you are going to see more fisherman, just like me out there. And as far as I am concerned, you can (inflammatory statement-cb), cause I will be out there, fishing.

[ 06-13-2003, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: crabbait ]

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Very true Skahorse.
You forgot to mention that if it were not places like Cedar creek to sucker in the amateurs they might end up in the real cool spots! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Bryan - I just reviewed many of your 69 posts since November '01. It seems that ifish to you is a place to whine and complain. Three of your most recent posts are all to complain about the number of fishermen at Cedar Creek and to blame ifish for it. If you do not like the number of fishermen who frequent Cedar Creek, go somewhere else.

As for your input here at ifish, exactly what have you added to the site? You complained about a sponsor, many complaints about Cedar Creek, and a picture of you with a very nice steelhead.

If ifish for you is a place to complain about ifish and ifish sponsors, feel free to move on.

The rest of us enjoy sharing tackle and techniques, general information, and the support and commraderie of fellow fishermen. That is what ifish is about. Seems to me that you missed it.

·
Registered
16,596 Posts
Bryan,
Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but the real sign of a sportsman is to be able to back it up.

So I ask you, you going to be there Saturday morning to help with the clean-up, I am and I've only fished there once in my whole life.

It's not always about taking, sometimes it's about giving back.

JK

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
People have been fishing (and snagging) at Cedar Creek long before Ifish. As mentioned in an earlier post, plenty of other sources recommend this place, the Oregonian is a great example.

I too am tired of those complaining about people reporting success on this site. It's not just for posting your trophy photos. If some want to share successful techniques or places to fish then let em do so in peace.

Please stop whining! Cedar Creek (and many other places like it) are NOT zipperlip holes!

WLW

·
Banned
74 Posts
First of all I didn't post any pictures of me and a fish. I don't want or need any attention about catching a fish. The picture you reference is a fish I caught, but that is not me in the picture. A friend asked me to post the fish.

I asked a question of all of you and no one has answered. Instead you resort to name calling and put downs. That's fine. I am wanting to engage in honest debate about what is good and responsible for a resource and the environment. I personally think increased exposure on places like ifish and the Oregonian creates an environment of destruction and abuse. Does the destruction and abuse come from ifishers? Probably not, BUT how many people lurk out there in cyberspace and only read this resource? Am I bashing ifish for this? No. I am simply pointing out the need for responsibility and discretion in posts.

ifish is great for sharing technique and tackle ideas. Personally I think that trial and error are the best lessons to be learned. I think it's great when people post that they have an open seat on fishing trip. Relationships and friendships created through an impetus like ifish are wonderful. BUT with each new advance in technology has come not only great achievement for good but a component of abuse and corruption. With all of the good that ifish has caused there is a negative side as well. To ignore that and call names is both irresponsible and immature.

I personally believe that over exposure to ANY fishery is probably a bad idea. Third on my list of negative consequences of over exposure is hook up opportunities. First on my list would be to the fish themselves. Snagging a fish is a crime. There has to be some percentage of people that read the Oregonian or ifish looking for rivers corked with fish to snag! That's just the law of averages and I have no idea what that number is but to ignore that fact is to hide from the truth. There has to be some impact of snagging on wild fish. Not only snagging but improper handling and flat out poaching. How many wild fish die each year because rivers are publicized too much?

Second on my list would be to the surrounding environment. I am not a big environmentalist but the trash and fishing tackle left behind are embarrassing! I have taken lots of trash out of Cedar Creek. I don't need a "clean up day" to remind me of my responsibility to pick up my trash and that of others. And again I doubt that people contributing regularly to ifish are the culprits to this mess. But to ignore the fact this resource of ifish has dozens, hundreds or even thousands of lurkers is to ignore reality.

How many lurkers are there for each member? If there is just one lurker for each member then there are THOUSANDS of lurkers. It would make sense that these people are the ones causing the majority of the problems. And YES the population is growing and pressure on the rivers is increasing and that in itself is a reason for less information being disseminated!

The problem is not completely out of hand yet. I am simply pointing out the need for discretion and a responsibility we all have as a responsible fishing public. But hey I am just a whiner and I don't have anything to contribute! I especially want to apologize for not having well thought out ideas! Perhaps I should take your lead in just calling names and throwing insults back and fourth. Maybe that is how change occurs in the internet age.
bryan

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
I think CohoClint is sharing information about the HATCHERY hole at Cedar Creek because he is a friendly, generous kid, who likes to share his knowledge. With enough posts like yours, Brian, we should be able to stomp those dreadful traits right out of him.

[ 06-13-2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Snapset ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am sorry bryan for using (cedar creek) as a topic. i did not think that it would such a big deal, so relly bryan i dont have time for people like you to complane to me about somthing so little, to me it is not relly a big deal so get over it.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Well said CohoClint
Bryan we need to help out the newbee's and the people that don't have the apatunity (sp) to get out as much as some of us. some have jobs, kids, etc and with a little advice might be able to better there odds of catching a fish.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bryan,
Just FYI the earth is roughly covered by 2/3rds water. WHY DONT YOU FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO FISH AND COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ 06-13-2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: FISH HAWK ]

·
Registered
547 Posts
Bryan...Make sure you call Fishing and Hunting News, The Oregonian, STS and other numerous sources who talk about cedar creek.

[ 06-14-2003, 01:11 AM: Message edited by: Leatherneck ]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts