IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the report Tilla.

All I can say is at least there is open water at the bottom of the ramp. I just took a look at the Scappoose Bay Marina ramp and it is froze up for 100 yards. No one will be launching there!

Z's-

It was a good call to postpone until the 24th.

· Registered
853 Posts
Just received call from Sturgeon42 regarding Cathedral Park.

Hill down to the ramp has been sanded still slushy and rutted.

Ramp slushy not hard.

Advice Bring a large 4wd with good tires along with chains as a precaution.

We will be launching around 8:00 for anyone that would like to watch. I went to Freds on Jan 1st and Cathedral Park Jan 2nd had no trouble either time. I don't expect it to be any trouble this time. I will have chains for all 4 tires just in case. I've towed a trailer up to my property in WA in worse than this, I guess it all depends on your comfort level.

· Registered
Salmon, steelhead, Kokanee, trout, bass, boat or bank
4,392 Posts
Any one with a true flat bottom sled can pass up the backing down ordeal. All you do is slide it off the trailer at the top of the ramp spin it around give her a push and yahooooo :shocked: :shocked: splash .
Come on, who will go first?

Fishalot

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Personally, it probably can be done, but who's going first? No one had backed all the way down as of noon.
Hint: the way down on the east side of the bridge may be easier.

· Registered
9,987 Posts
Taken at noon today at the ramp. One set of tracks going down but not up! :rolleyes:
Mrs Tilla is waving, she was OK on the ride but I had to put a towel under her. :wink:

[ 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: Tilla ]

· Registered
969 Posts
Fishalot:

You've got the right idea! :smile:

I've launched a canoe through a snowy, un-drivable park that way: simply put it on the ground, put the gear inside and tow it over the snow by the painter. Not much harder than walking my wife's chihuahua. A boat makes a REALLY good sled. :cool: (Also note that I wouldn't dare let my teenagers see this admission! I don't want to come home from work and see any of my canoes on the 5 o'clock news, involved in traffic accidents. :shocked: )

A midwestern canoe racing friend took it one step further: you climb into the boat first, give it a push, and do the "flying zamboni" launch into the river. :rolleyes:

· Registered
969 Posts
Lower Willamette River. North Portland. St. Johns neighborhood, directly under the St. Johns suspension bridge over said river.

The gorgeous, arched, bridge supports, designed and built in an era when style points counted more, look quite similar to Gothic cathedral arches. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.