IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to love fishing silvers on the Clackamas back in the early '90's.

In the last few years that's changed. I didn't even try for them last year. The year before, with a record run, it was hard to buy a bite. Everyone I've talked to has had the same expereince.

Maybe this year will be different. Maybe with the cooler weather and the little bit of rain we've had it will change. The only explanation we can come up with for them not biting is too warm of water, but I'm sure it hasn't been any lower or warmer or dryer these last few years than it was back in "the day" when we would catch 10 or 12 coho every morning.

Well, here's were class begins:

First of all one of the best ways to catch them is to not jump the gun and fish for them too early. So many people go when the fish aren't even in the river and then wonder why they aren't catching any. If the silvers are in usually they will show themselves.

I used to get all excited and waste a bunch of gas going after them when they weren't in yet, then I figured out they never really got thick until after about the 14 of September. Sure, some will be around by the end of August but more will be in later.

And they would show up then rain or shine, it's more about length of day and hormone levels in the fish than it is the water condtions. The Clackamas is big enough they will come up it no mater what.

My favorite way of catching the Clackamas silvers was to drift fish for them with a red corkie and eggs. They loved good eggs and seamed to have a preference for red. We also used diver and bait with a five foot leader, a red corkie or matalic spin glo and eggs. I remember times when we'd even have fish whack our eggs as we were reeling them in, right off the surface.

We also casted spinners for them. I used home made spinners similar to the Metric Spinner. Chrome with some red nail polish on the blade when it was sunny and and brass when it was overcast.

Recently I have heard of people on several rivers casting and retreiving Wiggle Warts/Brads Wiglers for them on. I have friends that say that's the only way they caught fish last year.

Sometimes a bait of eggs drifted under a bobber in the real slow spots will also work well.

Look for the silvers in the deeper holes in the morning and then they will usually mover into the broken water as the light gets brighter.

Like I said, if they are around they will show themselves.

I have seen a lot of them moving in the tailouts but never have caught them then.

Another tip, if you are fishing over a bunch of rolling fish and can't get them to bite, move and find some fresher fish that are more willing. I've spent way too many hours trying to catch fish that wont bite when I could have been covering water and hooking up.

I hope some of this helps, have fun.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the great info Dave. :cheers:
I can use all the help I can get.
Last year I only fished the Sandy and tagged 2.. The year before 3 .. This year im hoping to do much better fishing both the Sandy and the Clack. I got good eggs.. Maries shrimp scent and alot more knowhow reading all the info here on ifish.
Maybe this year I can fill a tag? :grin:
Oh ya! and I went out and got me a hot shot side planer and hope to give that a try if I can find a good spot and learn how to use the thing.
Mike

[ 09-12-2003, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: prospect1999 ]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have been getting the fever lately and try to keep telling myself to just wait!! Haven't tried the casting of wigglewarts though, maybe that will work for me. Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know about your side planer, you might need higher flows for it to work well. And you will need to be the only one around to use it, it takes up a lot of space. I've only fished with one on the Deschutes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dave, this side planer comes with 2 sizes of fins for slower and faster water. I saw this guy use one once on the sandy a few years ago and he called it the poor mans boat. I know I will have to use it when no one else is realy around because your right about taking up room. But it looked like alot of fun and he did get a steelhead using it.. I just had to have one.. :grin:
Again thanks for your info..

Mike

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
WOW Dave :shocked: Great info. Thanx from all here at Ifish.

Not trying to keep us off the Columbia where all the real fish are are you?? :laugh:

Seriously we all appreciate your insights. Keep up the great work. I'm gonna look you up for steelies/nookies on the Clack next early spring. :cheers:

Bob

·
Registered
676 Posts
ahh them elusive silvers,tagged 17 last year which sounds good, but my god all the hours chasing them just wasnt the same as "them good ol days"but like dave says red corkies and yard or with good eggs will do the trick and always fishing in the riffles, seems to work for me,seems also when you see alot rolling they have lock jaw and better to fish in a little faster water where they have less time to analize the bait and just smack it when they see it going by,,bottom line though is your not going to get them if your not out there trying for them,

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I'll second the Wart/Wiggler comment.
It's the best bass fishing around. :laugh: Tidewater and even slower deeper holes on bigger rivers is dynamite. It's a good way to stock up on eggs without having to deplete your current supply to get em.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got me there bobr down

Not trying to keep us off the Columbia where all the real fish are are you??
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Actually I am planning of fishing were the fish bite better, the coast.

It's a good way to stock up on eggs without having to deplete your current supply to get em
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I like that kind of thinkin' :grin:

Tagging 17 is pretty good but back in "the day" that could have been a morning of fishing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
oh now come on dave,back in the day which i remember you could still only tag 2 a day :shrug: besides would hate to carry more than that out in a morning lol,,,,,,,but you are totally right did have some good mornings,,,,,,,,,actually evenings.found out that the last 1/2 hour of lite the bite got hot,,,,not sure what the deal was,but just the way it worked out for us/also started using 2, size 14 corkies in 2 color como's with 1/0 gami's and just a few strands of yarn,small was the order of the day,,,,,

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I remember right we caught 32 one day.
Of course we only kept two each.

[ 09-13-2003, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: David Johnson ]

·
Registered
676 Posts
wow 32 in a morning,good job never quite that many but some great days to remember,,,gotta book a trip for them costal falls this year with you,,sandy is still off color this morning,but there are some fish to be had,

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The best day I ever had on the clack was Sept 2nd, more than a decade ago, I think I hooked 6, all on steelies. The best day I ever had on the sandy was Oct 1 last year, I hooked 8. The only reason I post this is because if you wait until mid Sept, you may be passing up some good fishing. On another note, I live just a few miles from Dodge Park, I took a run down there this morning to see if people were doing any good. Crap, that river is so dirty you could almost plow it. Even Bull Run is dirty, something I have not seen in the past. I wonder why, doesn't seem like we have had enough rain to do this, and its too cold to have much more snow melt, not to mention there ain't much more snow to melt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
:shrug: i was on the sandy last weekend,was very milky from glacier run off,now this weekend its muddy,,weird just not understanding what has happened that could effect the river so bad,,lost 1 nice hen right at the bank, but wasnt worth the effort,,maybe a few more days and it will clear for us

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
I've done well with wiggle warts for silvers, casting and drifting them down, just like you would a spoon. Red and Purple work well.

happybrew

·
Registered
803 Posts
DJ,
Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Hands down your the nicest guide on the river today. I have fished with ya on the clackamas several time drifting by in MY DB(Fire in the Hole)and for the first time I am boatless :depressed: . I was O.K. with that until this post, for I too was tired of trying the river I love for Silvers but now maybe I can see it through one more year. Thanks always for info most guides don't share and I hope you are right.
Fire OUT of the Hole for now. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I fish the Sandy for silvers and will only do it these days if we get a cool period or rain.
Last year we had a good storm in Sept. and it bumped the river up a bit and in three days fishing spinners I hooked more than I could count, broke a rod, got spooled but went home with two fish every day.
Geez the bucks were big last season. I weighed two of my bucks after cleaning them, at home,and they were 14lbs a piece.
Fall is frustrating for me. Go to the Deschutes, run back to PDX for silvers, back and forth frothing at the mouth.

Life is good in the Fall.......... :cheers: :cheers:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts