IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out Easter morning with a good friend. Ran in to UnReel at Fred's, nice guy. The fishing was a steady, slow, fish here and there. Phill gets drilled at about 09:45, fish on. We get it up to the boat, a nice, clipped, 24# hen. Bonk, tag the fish, rinse the net, into the box. But wait, there's a little 3-4mm white spot where the clip should be, and it's bleeding. It looks like someone must have caught and clipped the adipose, or maybe what was left of one, in the several days before it got to us! The net probably made it start bleeding again. We were sick, we had already whacked it a few times, so revival was out of the question. What do we do? I got the OSP number and gave them a call to explain our dilema. They were understanding and helpful, and said we would not likely be cited. The officer/trooper said to make sure a fish checker got a look at it when we got in. Whew!

Let me say that this was an honest mistake, had we noticed the odd clip, we would have put it back. We were perfectly willing to turn the fish over to the authorities, but they allowed us to keep it.

Now my point. The individuals that do this sort of thing need to be caught and prosecuted. There is no excuse for this kind of BS behavior. Whether you clip a wild fish, or finish clipping what you might think is a hatchery fish, you are commiting a crime, plain and simple. I don't care how many fish Federal, State, or Tribal hatcheries don't clip, put them back, unharmed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Not that idiots need a GOOD reason to do this kind of thing, but what is the benefit of clipping a fish then releasing it? I can see some moron doing it and then keeping it, but why let it go afterwards? Did they plan on catching it again later?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know. I've heard on this board of people doing it in the ocean. I've also heard some wahoo on the lower Columbia has a collection of ad's he's clipped, no pun intended.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
My thought was the guy who did this was

EXTREMELY MAD that he couldn't keep

this fish.

So to get even, he cut the fin just for SPITE!

Terrible thing to do!

Marie :depressed:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
These people (and I use the term lightly
) feel that the only good fish is a hatchery. They feel if everyone clipped the nates that they catch, there would be more clipped fish for everyone to keep :mad: . Nice, huh? Education maybe the easiest to fix this problem. Catching them would be almost impossible.

D.

·
Registered
141 Posts
the same thing happend to me last summer i was fishing up at the castcade locks and the guy below me was reeling in a nice steelhead and when he got it in it was a 14 pound steelhead but we notiched that some one cut of its adopose fin ( it was fresley cut and bleading) so we let it go i dont know why people cant just relase wild fish propley. :depressed:

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Too bad we can't catch and "clip" the morons who did this.... The human gene pool would be deeper as a result!

Just my .02! Tim :mad:

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
How's this? Last summer I watched this guy in a group of 3 catch a really dark hatchery salmon. I watched as he whipped out his pocket knife and put a cut in the fish right beside the dorsal fin, while the fish is still alive! Looked like a fairly decent sized cut too. Then he makes some comment to his friends about how the meat is no good and releases it!!! Wish I could've done something, but it would've been 1 vs. 3. Of course that fish didn't stand a chance and surely died a slow terrible death. Anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When we see anglers behaving irresponsibly, we should say so. You don't have to be confrontational, but you should say something to them. How about this: Would you have done that with a candid camera running, and a sheriff watching?

·
Registered
10,617 Posts
I no where condone this behavior, but its frustrating for many fisherman because a large protion of the fish on the Big C are unclipped hatchery fish, from the wind and indian hatcheries. its a problem that needs to be solved. If all of the fish were clipped, I wonder how many would "wild fish" would actually be caught.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Steelhead22- I've been told a couple times now, while discussing with a gammy and a fish and wildlife official, that if a fish' meat appears sketchy, it is appropriate to make a vertical cut down the side of the fish at the adipose fin, or where it should be. He said it doesn't bleed much, if at all at all, or cause the fish any pain, and the fish can easily still spawn if you don't like the way the meat looks. I for one have not tried it, just saying that I've heard that technique from guys who I think know what they're talking about. I was a little curious at first, but the repitition of hearing it a few more times convinced me that it's probably ethical. TOC.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
TOC- Thanks for the info. Sounds like it comes from a reputable source too. It's really interesting though, I would've never thought that in a million years. I still don't think I'm gonna test this method out, seems like it would open the fish up to bacterial infections and disease and is kind of unnecessary. I'll just stick with my first impressions and let the dark fish go on their way unharmed. Thanks again.

·
Banned
37,111 Posts
Cutting a hatchery fish near the tail used to be an acceptable method for determining whether the flesh had started to turn. It is easier to look at the roof of the mouth. If the flesh showing is pink, then the fish will still have pink flesh for at least a good portion of the fish.

Bucks will keep longer than hens. Even a hen that only looks a little shaded can fail the table fare test.

Start with good eggs (Amerman's!) and you should not have to keep marginal hens for eggs or dark bucks for the table.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts