IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Tension. Adjust the tension so that, with the rod tip up, you can release the spool(without thumbing) the gear will drop to the ground and the spool will stop. More tension, less distance, less birdnest.

Birdnest :grin:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Never let a newbie use a reel with tuff line. A birds net in tuff line is a real bear to deal with. Always start them off with mono.

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
are you sure you can't dig up a spinning rod for 'em? if you take a newbie out with a baitcaster you'll spend all your time helping them out with casting and stuff and won't be able to enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with the mono hint, but not necessarily with the spinning reel suggestion.......Unless this is the only time they are going to fish, if it is one time out and never again, get the spinning reel.
If they want to learn to fish for a lifetime than you may as well start them on the level wind. We have all had our first cast, i.e. birdnest, that is part of life with a baitcast reel of any type. However it gets easier with every cast. Might as well get it done with early and then the trips out with the Newbie will get better each time, with less attention on the birdnests and more on the fishing.

Just a thought

FOD

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Extra line might save the day too. :cool:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Good topic. Several hints I might add into the mix. One: Hook up the rod, level wind and line to a kite. Let him thumb out the line slowly and reel in. Then progress to releasing spool pressure so that they get the feel of the rod and reel. I trained my two daughters on that technique years ago. They learned real quick what a back lash was and how to try and avoid it. Second. Practice cast in a school grounds, back yard etc. with plenty of room. Set a 5 gallon bucket 20' feet away and have them aim for it. As they become better move the bucket further out. Third. Instruct the individual how to correctly set drag pressure and spool tension. Educate them first that it is not necessary to do long casts but to master short casts first, then progress to longer casts. Fourth: Use a reel with interchangable spools or have extra reels available. Fifth: Try and determine what cast is the easiest for the new level wind user. Is it a two handed overhead, side slinger or one handed overhead. If they are serious about learning the right technique they will pick it up reel(pardon the pun) quick. One last comment. When my girls were little I never took the time to dig out the birds nest. I just cut the line, grabbed a new spool or another reel and told them that we would work on the "EAGLES NEST" when we got home. Always reminded them that we don't catch fish if that line is not in the water.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input!

Unfortunately, we do not have time to practice casting, so I will try to find a spinning reel combo for him. Altough I am hesitant using this setup for salmon. Knowing his "Newby" luck, he will get into a monster...

Is it me or do all Newbies catch fish their first time out?

·
Registered
11,031 Posts
Never let a newbie use a reel with tuff line. A birds net in tuff line is a real bear to deal with. Always start them off with mono.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Small Fry is DEFINITELY right on the money there!! Tuff line is 10X as hard to untangle as mono when it comes to birds nests!

-jokester

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
pull out a little more line than you will cast put a piece of scotchs tape across the reel and then reel in your line this will stop Bird nests till you learn to cast.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I bought my first level wind last year, and tried it out on the Wilson (without any practice in the backyard). Not a very fun day! The scotch tape idea is great I think I will try that while trying again this fall. By the way I have learned more stuff on this site than I could have ever imagined. Even caught my first chinook this labor day. Thanks to everyone

·
Premium Member
14,746 Posts
i'd loan you my spinning reel setup but it's rigged for winter jig fishing and could double in a pinch for silvers. certainly not for nooks.

are you going big bobber fishing or drift fishing? on a big bobber setup, casting a levelwind is a piece of cake: let 'er rip and stop it when it hits the water.
i like the scotch tape idea a lot.
you should take all the hints and tips given here, write them down and stuff them into your wallet or something when you go out. you'll never remember all this good stuff on the river.

[ 09-17-2003, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: ampersat ]

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Definitely throw some pencil lead on and set the tension so it simply won't backlash, even if this means they won't cast too far. Also, remind them that the most important part of "thumbing" is when the weight/lure hits the water.

And also, Curados are great!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.