IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I,m wanting to learn the casting reel, as it is better to use for free reeling a bobber then what I,m used to with my Cardinal spinning reels. Any suggerstions on which casting reel would be the best. Priced under $75.00 :whazzup:

· Registered
4,667 Posts
"I,m wanting to learn the casting reel, as it is better to use for free reeling a bobber then what I,m used to with my Cardinal spinning reels."

I'm not a big fan of Cardinals, but I think this point is debatable. If you want to fish heavy gear/floats, a baitcaster will work well, but if you're looking for steelhead mainly, esp. on smaller rivers, I prefer spinning (I like Shimano spinning reels, Garcia baitcasters).

· Registered
1,615 Posts
I'm with Coastalfisherman - Ambassedeur 5500C3 will work with braided line for Salmon and Steelhead. If just Steelhead, I use the smaller, lighter, 4600C UltraCast that has a convenient thumbar to release line. With these, I cast relatively light bobbers/floats & jigs just fine.

· Registered
9,059 Posts
Looks like I struck something in you. If you want a good reel to practice with go to walmart and pick one up. Put some cheap line on it and go out in the front yard and practice casting before you go to the river. By the way the ONLY way you will learn to use one when you go to the river is to leave the spinning reels at home. That is how I learned. This will force you into learning. Get a reel that has the magnetic and mechanical drag. You should be able to gert on at walmart for about 30.00. get a cheap one until you get used to it. when you finally like it and how it works, then make a good purchase. Shimano and ambassaduers are good reels. You can get good deals on ebay if you watch them closely. If you need more info PM me.

· Registered
23,212 Posts
For bobber fishing steelhead I like the spinning reel a lot better than a casting reel. I feel that it is easier to let out line with a lite bobber and eggs or jigs than it is with a levelwind.

papa

G

·
Put some tape on the spool at just beyond the distance you are casting so your backlashes don't go to the spool.

I would not recommend an Ambassedeur as a first casting reel, get a Shimano Curado. Ambassedeurs have lost some of the quality they had in the past and I've been disappointed with the last 3 I have bought.

· Registered
9,881 Posts
Don't buy a cheeeep one to start with you might just learn to hate casting reels if you do. If it is in your budget get a Curado or one that is of the same quality, and take an extra spool of line with you in case you can't pick out a backlask and have to cut it out. Get a small (spelling) crow - shey needle to carry with you to help pick out the rats nests that will plauge you sometimes.
It is good advice that you leave the spinning reels home till you learn to use it.
DAB

· Registered
703 Posts
The Pflueger President is a really good reel. a little pricy, but if you shop around, i have a friend that bought one on sale for $85 definatly a find, but a quality reel, we've caught probably 500 pinks, and 300 coho on it up here, not to mention the fish he caught on it before he got here, and hasnt had a problem with it.

· Registered
4,557 Posts
I would go with the 5500 for steelhead 6500 salmon :cheers:

what ever you do do not get a corsair!! :laugh:

· Registered
2,223 Posts
Remember to tune it so that when you press the release the line spools out at a smooth rate. Do this before you cast it and you wont have as many birds nests. Anytime you switch weight you want to do this too! Your reel should have a little adjustment dial or knob for this. Also, with the Shimanos...like the Curado a little extra weight goes along way.

· Registered
463 Posts
Put some tape on the spool at just beyond the distance you are casting so your backlashes don't go to the spool.

I would not recommend an Ambassedeur as a first casting reel, get a Shimano Curado. Ambassedeurs have lost some of the quality they had in the past and I've been disappointed with the last 3 I have bought.

While bank fishing this year I heard alot of complaints from the ambassedeur guys...

· Registered
2,731 Posts
The Amb 5500c3 is a nice reel, but for casting a bobber you'll need a fairly heavy weight to get much distance in your casts.
I totally agree. I use a 5501C3 for salmon bobber fishing, but that's because I use big bobbers and big baits, so I can really fling it out there. As for steelie fishing, I bobber fish with low pros. They don't hold as much line, but they definitely cast better and sit much better on a light rod.

Ultimately, light bobber fishing is best with a spinning reel for the sheer sake of long casts with light tackle so that's always a good alternative/choice.

However, I'm a casting reel guy and like the low pro set up for steelies. :applause:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.