IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished the Cascade Lakes recently? I'm heading to Crane Prairie for Memorial Weekend...any fish being caught at Davis or Wickiup?

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Davis should be fishing better than CP. I don't know how much water is in Davis though.

Wickiup should still be good. I don't know when they are draining it for the earthquake stuff at the dam. You may want to call one of the shops in La Pine to check on the water levels.

The bass at CP are actually better fishing than the trout. Blame it on what you want. The ones I caught up there were full of leeches, not trout or tui chubs.

Hosmer should be turning on too. Those atlantics are fun up there.

Paulina and East should be good also. But they are getting to be a drive from Crane. If monster browns are on the menu, I would start here. But downriggers are the best way to target the big brownies. Not totally necessary, but they tip the odds in your favor.

Now don't get me wrong. CP is my fave over there. But it is a limited thing at this time of year. When it gets hot, they will lie in the channels. This makes it much easier to catch them. If I had to fish trout right now at Crane, I would probably troll little Rapalas around in the channels in the timber.

Lava was stocked with broodstock from Crane Prarie a few years back. When those fish get mature, it could get interesting. Definate sleeper material.

Have fun and try to stay warm. If you do stay warm, wear some deet. The skeeters are thick fairly early up there.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Fished crane this last weekend and it was a bust for our boat but my dads boat caught a 20 and an 18 along with some smaller ones. It was cold as can be. They were all caught on chartruse powerbait in rock creek or quinn. We didnt target any bass at all but they are there. good luck.

-blake

1 - 3 of 3 Posts