IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed up to the Cascade Lakes in the next day or so. I was wondering if I could elicit any news or reports from Hosmer, Crane, or lakes near there. Thanks in advance. I'll report back after my trip. Cheers, CopperMan.

Reactions: Dave Smith

·
Registered
163 Posts
CopperMan: I had good luck recently using dry Purple Haze flies at Hosmer on a cloudy day. With the nice weather there will likely be a lot of paddle boarders out during the day so early or late may be your best bet. On Crane I saw a guy cleaning up on Chironomids. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was at Crane a week ago. Fishing was much slower than I had previously experienced. Got an 18” bow’ with a San Juan worm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
I’d like to get back to Crane. I’d hunt for the 3# kokes. 1.4 mph. Black n white terminal tackle on the surface ~120’ back in the sw corner of the pool. Look for “deep” water (14’ or so).

Water Vertebrate Goggles Sunglasses Cloud

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Jeff from the Fly Shop in Sisters was out this way last weekend, working at the Royal Treatment Fly shop to help cover while lots of people were out of town. He told me that Hosmer had a pretty major winterkill and lost a ton of fish. He said the ones that are left are super fat and growing fast

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Thank you Whiskey Dick for the link.

I started out at Hosmer and was shocked to see NO fish in the channel between the lower and upper lake. I did get into some Brooke Trout in the upper lake. It was really slow until the birdies started working after sunset. Slow stripping nymphs worked for me.

I put in at Quinn River this morning at 6:30. Talked to a guy who was coming in to use the bathroom. He had one trout and one big Kokanee on blood colored chironimids. Other than that I saw one fish landed on bait out near where Quinn opens to the main lake. I marked the occasional fish and, don't laugh, throught I'd really found a concentration of fish only to realize it was stumps showing up on my Fishin Buddy. :) I had 3 take downs, all missed, on a chirono pupa and a blood worm. In reading some of the posts, maybe I should have stayed longer. I was off the water at 1. Skunked, no love for me. Cheers, CopperMan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts