IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the Carrot Crew is back from the deep south at the Rogue river and we have a smoking report!

We started our trip out Thursday afternoon hoping to get some wet line time by the time we got down there. Thankfully on the way down we avoided all jackers and bears! After 6 hours in the truck with two guys that had, shall we say “gastronomical” problems we were all ready to soak some bait in the open air and fresh ocean breeze of the Rogue Bay!

We baited up our homemade Rogue Spinners we had tied on the way down and hit the water. I had bought myself a special present before the trip, A Loomis IMX salmon rod and on our first pass I was commenting to my fine crew of gastronomical acrobats how much better you could feel every bump on the bottom when bouncing back when all of a sudden I felt the bait bounce right into Mr. Chinookies mouth! Right on what a way to break in a new rod! It was a real treat being the only boat on the bay and fighting a salmon and finally this 31lb piggie came to the boat!

We missed two other bites and it left us really pumped up for Friday!

Friday morning we hit the water ready and raring to go. We trolled for a few hours with only one bump then all of a sudden the bite was on! There were boats with fish on everywhere. If you have never been to Rogue Bay the number of boats in a small space can boggle your mind. Throw in the wind, current and a few dough balls and you can have an “interesting” time.

On our second pass through the feeding frenzy we were having our regular great time yelling encouragement to people with fish on when my trusty new rod buckled and my Calcutta started singing its salmon song. This fish absolutely ripped us up. He was down the bay, up the bay, across the bay, under the boat, jumping… WOW what a battle. When you get a fish in these crowded conditions you have to have someone on the kicker following the fish trying to stay on top so the other boats know where your fish is. It is really kind of cool seeing the madness erupt! Fun, fun, fun! Finally this “little” (for the Rogue a baby) 23lber came to the net!

That was it for us that day. We felt a little let down because there was a good bite going on. We missed a few other fish but the one thing I had going for me was I bought some G-Spot spinner blades. The rest of the guys were using blades they bought from Sportsman’s Warehouse and they were just not performing. Well when in Rome do as the Romans so after fishing that morning we hit the Rogue Outdoor Store and picked up a few blades. The wind kept us off the water that afternoon but we were ready for the next day.

That afternoon we decided to run my sled up the Rogue. Now I had never done anything like this before but what the heck… the nice thing about the Rogue is the channels are marked in the difficult water for the Mail Boats so we felt confident. We ran about 15-20 miles up and what a beautiful ride! If you ever get down there you have to do it. The water is gin clear and there are HUGE salmon everywhere. We spotted pod after pod of monster fish in every hole. My boat preformed awesome and I found I can run it on plane in about 4 inches of water!

Saturday morning we were armed with our new blades that work and the day looked promising.

Things started out slowly but we knew the bite would come a few hours into the incoming this gave us time to pull off “Operation One Square” which is not a story I think I can put on Ifish but lets just say it was a stunt you would see on the MTV show *******… nuf said!

We saw TH and his crew boat a fish on their first pass and we bided our time. It was the calm before the storm!

First pass through our honey slot BAMMM Zaq has fish on! Darn fish off! Get our stuff back in the water and 30 seconds later BAMMMM Zaq fish on WAMMMM Chris fish on! DOUBLE!!!! Ooops Zaq fish off! Chris’s fish was fighting deep and hard and we knew it was a pig when it started towing my sled across the bay! After 4-5 drag burning runs we get our first look at this brute and we knew it was a big one! We finally got this brute in the boat after a 15 minute fight right in front of the dock at Jot’s with a crowd applauding! Right on Chris biggest salmon so far for my boat at 43lbs!

We get back to the honey slot and after about 8 seconds WHAMMM zaq’s rod takes another dive. He jumps up the set the hook and nothing! Dang… he starts reeling in to check his bait and guess what… the fish is still there! The fish then decided to run at the boat directly behind us, tangle through 4 lines and a prop, jump 4 feet into the air about 1 foot from the stern of that boat where we could see it was a good 35+lbs of chrome pig, then take another run at another boat and jump, then you guessed it fish off! Poor Zaq he just wasn’t the same all day.

We get back on our troll through our honey slot and while bouncing back BAMMM I get a nice strike but the fish did not take the hooks two seconds later while Bobby is bouncing back his spinner bait BOOOM fish on. Now I know this is not what Bobby had hoped for but he got this nice 5lb chrome steelhead!

Another pass through the hole and SHABAMALAM Chris has another fish on and this one stuck! This piggy put up a great fight but was not quite as big as the last one he caught but was a respectable 22lbs. Here is a pic of both fish at the dock.

We went back out that afternoon and got a couple of other good takedowns but nothing stuck and we felt good about the day with 10 chances! Wow those G-Spot spinner blades really work! Just a side note we saw a guy check a 52.5lb fish that day too and the guy working the tackle store at Jot’s said they checked 10 fish over 40lbs and two over 50lbs that day!

Sunday we hit the water a little hung over and tired from 3 days of fishing and did I mention it was Sunday. We never do well on Sunday so I think we were doomed from the start. So we trolled and trolled and trolled and… well you get the picture. A bite never materialized, as the fish seemed to take Sunday off. We talked to the guide at Jot’s on our way out and he was skunked too with 3 clients in the boat… at least we got one bite but it did not stick!

Overall it was a great trip with some zany and crazy guys two of which have some kind of gastronomical defect that makes them produce methane gas 24/7! I think the paint peeled off the walls of our hotel room! “Operation One Square” was a hoot and the ride up the river was awesome! If you go Jot’s is a great place to stay and you can keep your boat in the water on their dock making fishing that much easier. The people that work at Jot’s are very informative and openly share the techniques. Take your top off your boat because you will not be able to troll when the water is really crowded if the wind is blowing… and it pretty much blows all the time. Buy your spinner blades in Gold Beach at either Jot’s or the Rogue Outdoor Store because they work a lot better than the blades you can get around here. There are two colors everyone uses down there, chartreuse and chartreuse. Use a 6 ft 40lb-50lb leader with your anchovy spinner and an 18”-24” dropper with 2oz-3oz of lead. Bounce it back on troll until you can feel it constantly touching the bottom then real up a couple of cranks and you are in the zone. A lot of people use spreaders for the roll but we used sliders for our weights just incase they got caught up we did not want to loose a fish… that’s up to you!

Good luck if you go! I don’t think there is a better place in the lower 48 to hook into a Chinook of a lifetime than the Rogue River and from what everyone told us the fishing is not even that great yet.

[ 07-30-2003, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Team Carrot Milk strikes again. :cheers:
what an Epic battle of Shock And Awe :grin:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Carrot wrestling and G-spots! Ok. I'm no moderator but, maybe you should take that perv-o stuff someplace else. Just kidding! :laugh:
Those are awesome pics guys. I think there will be plenty Froydian envy going on for some time now.
Slabs-o-plenty. Yowza yowza yowza! :shocked: It looks as though a magical fairy came down from the heavens and turned one of those slabs into a TOAD!
Here piggy piggy! Oink oink!
As always, great pics.
Ragnar can only say wow!
:bowdown:

·
Registered
627 Posts
After Aug 1 I'll be in my favorite secret spot above all you off of Frenchmans and hoping to top my 44 lber of three years ago.... :grin: :grin: :grin: PS. nice fishies...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Awesome! Keep the pics rollin we enjoy them. Hey i saw you guys on the cover of the Fishing News, cool. You guys ever think about starting your own fishin show? :grin:

[ 07-28-2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Dem are sum nice fishies. I am fully qualified as a methane producer just in case you are short a sphincter! :cheers:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
:laugh: :grin:

Too cool guys. Keep it up. :wink:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nice feesh!!! What hogs!!! I bet it was fun rellin in that 43 pounder!!! Man what a day!!! :grin: :shocked: :cheers:
:dance: :bowdown:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey FNF you know those URB's are going to running pretty hard in a couple weeks... you up for a trip to the big city :grin:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was wondering where you guys went, figured it would lead to a few pictures though. Nice job!!! :smile: In a few weeks we'll see what kind of fun you can catch with Alvins. :grin:

Oh, the Fraser was rumored to open today, so maybe a little Sockeye action is in order.

Green Machine

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
With my 4 cents and your 5 cents we could almost make a dime. Throw in a little XTC and we could have a party! A road trip is definetly in order for those URB'S. They don't look so pretty when they get to my neck of the woods. They never look like those Rogue fish! LETS ROLL!

·
Registered
331 Posts
:shocked: Wow! Nice fat fish.
Congrats on another great fishing adventure! You guys are on a roll!

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Amazing job Carrot Crew. THose are some hogs!!!! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts