IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS PAST SUMMER ,I WENT TO TEXAS TO VISIT FRIENDS, THEY TOOK ME CARP FISHING,, WE CAUGHT SEVERAL 8 TO 12 LB RANGE ,, THEN I CAUGHT A 33 LB CARP ,,, I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY FISH FIGHT LIKE THIS CARP ,, BUT NOW I WANT TO GO AFTER BIG CARP IN OREGON OR WASHINGTON ,, AND I WAS LOOKING FOR ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS FOR LOCATIONS THAT MY HAVE LOTS OF CARP!!!I KNOW SOME WILL LAUGH AT THIS ,, BUT I AM SERIOUS ,, ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED ,, THANKS JOHN B

·
Registered
266 Posts
Last weekend I saw a bunch of huge carp in Sturgeon Lake on Sauvie Island. These guys were spawning in really shallow water, so you could wade right up to them and get a good look at them.

I'm not sure how to fish for them, but from the size of some of these guys I'm betting that it would be a fun fight.

(There were some guys scooping carp up in a net, but I can't imagine eating these ugly fish.)

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Just about any of the sloughs and slow water off of the Willamette hold carp. I pretty much grew up catchin carp. Everday after school me and my buddies would go to my house and mix up a doughball made of peanut butter and flour, then ride our bikes to Meldrum Bar and catch carp all day long on little trout poles. I've never seen any even close to 33lbs. though, mostly 5-10lb. range. Hang on to your rod though, I've lost more rods than I can count to the mighty carp, who would pull them into the water never to be seen again when we weren't looking. I can't imagine how much trouble I would've gotten myself into had I not been fishin everyday. :shrug: :wink: I think I'll go carp fishin next time I'm home. :grin:

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Try Lamberts Slough on the Willy. Its located between Wheatland and the Yamhill. Huge suckers in there.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by steelhead22:
I've never seen any even close to 33lbs.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">here in idaho on the snake river ive seen HUGE carp
at CJ strike last weekend i was seeing carp roll that were a good 30+inches
i wanna go catch em:D

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I watched a lady working at the Staff Jenning's store some years back drop a bag of corn chip crumbs onto the water. The feeding carp boiled the water just like the pirhana do in the movies. I've also seen em sunning themselves in the Columbia Slough. Big ones, too. Though I never did it...I sure thought about trying to catch one, just for the heck of it.

Mark

·
Registered
499 Posts
When I was in high school some years ago I used to bow fish for Carp. We would go to the Slew(?) in Milwaukie. There is a Park right off the main road there. We used to pump up the raft. Install the trolling motor and slay em big time. There are some monsters in there. Must have been thousands of em in there. Schools every where. Right across from River Road on the east side of Mlaflin. Hope it helps. SPACE FISH

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
I used to catch carp by the truckload in the slough behind the mill in Camas, WA as a kid. That's how I learned to fight fish on a light rod. Great practice for kids and lots of fun.

[ 04-26-2003, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Silver Hilton ]

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Brownlee Res. right out of Huntington close to the mouth of the Burnt river a few years back I saw a lady fighting a fish for over 20 mins. When she finally got it close enough to see we could tell it was a huge carp! She landed it on #10 test line and a small spinning outfit using worms. The fish weighed in at #44!! It was the BIGGEST goldfish I have ever seen!!! The biggest I have ever landed was caught on a crappy jig fishing the same area and it weighed about #20. There are some HUGE carp out there!

Jon :smile: :grin: :smile:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
JHB, I recommend Sauvies as you are local here in Portland. Sturgeon lake or the Gilbert river and any of the lakes off of it like malarky or the others.
Top secret Carp bait. SHHHHHH don't tell.

Fig Newton cookies. Just take the cookie dip it in water and mold it around a treble hook and hang on. I have seen some that are good size in there. My experience is to leave the spawners alone and just cast out in the deeper water where you can't see them. Of course a bow and fish arrow works good.

Carp receipe:

Take a 1X12 pine plank
Lay the fish on it after it has been cleaned and scaled.
Make slits in the skin
Lots of pepper and spices.
juice of 1 whole lemon squirted over the fish.
Bake in the oven at 350 for 1 hour.
take the fish out let cool 15 min.
Throw the fish in the trash and eat the plank. :tongue:

[ 04-27-2003, 03:53 AM: Message edited by: Capin' Dan ]

G

·
Box of Wheaties, vanilla extract flavoring and a little water.

Keep crunching and rolling it all up into a big doughball. Press a small ball of it onto a small treble like you would power bait and plunk away. "Carp on" if they are around.

Can of yellow corn kernals slid onto a single hook from the tip to the eye also works. Suggest you don't use this one if game fish are around (like trout) in numbers. They can't digest it.

They have small mouths so size your hooks accordingly. Sometimes the bite is Sturgeon like and sometimes they eat it.

Hey Carp are an honored fish in Japan and a game fish in Britain and Europe. Like you say, the big ones rival some other fighting fish.

Hope you find a good spot. :wink:

Don't tell Cinco Centavos though. He will be fishing for them next. :laugh:

Rick

[ 04-27-2003, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: ****** ]

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
JHB, I recommend Sauvies as you are local here in Portland. Sturgeon lake or the Gilbert river and any of the lakes off of it like malarky or the others.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">If you're using a boat up there, stay outside the refuge boundaries when you're motor's running. The ODFW gets a little bent if you motor thru the refuge.
It's carp city up there, though. Try Aaron Lake or Big McNary from the bank when the water is up. Malarkey is good, but a bit of a hike unless you're boating it. Back in the day, you could drive to about any lake in the SIWMA. Not anymore. :depressed:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
MMMMMM... crab bait...

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Better crab bait than shad. Fight well on light gear. Bite well, even when the river is blown out.

Tie them to the ring to keep critters from swimming off with them. Also saves time on the way to the bay- Ya got bait so ya don't need to pick up roadkill on the way. Defrost the day before you go- Makes em easier to tie on to the ring.

Oh yeah, double wrap them in plastic garbage bags before freezing to prevent spouse from finding out what is in the freezer. If she starts looking and finds the squid, shad, carp, eel, and rock doves( dog gets hardmouth sometomes- wrap em in barbed wird and water fetch em.) in the freezer she thought was "Clean", well it aint pretty.

Good fishing.

Mark and the dog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts