IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your boat is like mine and uses a t-handle compression-fit drain plus from the outside, watch out. I think mine pulled almost all the way out after I ran over a crab line on Saturday. It didn't come out immediately but I'm pretty sure it loosened it to the point where it came out about 2 hours later. All of a sudden, water at my feet. Fortunately, I had it on a lanyard (plus I keep a spare). Whew!

From now on I'll make sure it's REALLY tight and check it if I run over any lines plus I'll run with my bilge pump on automatic and maybe even put in an alarm.

Biederboat

[ 09-22-2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: biederboat ]

·
Registered
733 Posts
i use compression plugs too but buy the hinged handle type, after pressing the plug in you can flip the pull handle up against the stern, its nearly impossible to get it snagged on things that way... joco

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have done this also. 8 hours of crabbing on Yaquina Bay. Had a wonderful time, then found that I had water in my boat up to the floor boards. After passing my daughter off to a commercial boat passing, headed into the south beach marina. A lot of people didn't like the 35 mph in the marina area, but it was that or sink the boat. Luckily we saved it!!!! But learned a lot that day. I now tie my plug on with about a three foot length of 80 pound line. I also carry about 4-5 spares with me. Also a good reminder to always wear a life jacket while out cruising.

[ 09-22-2003, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Crabby ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts