IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on protectants or corrosion inhibitors that would be good on boat top snaps? Even some new snaps that I had replaced last year seem corroded and difficult to unsnap. Feels like I'm going to pull it right through the fabric. Also, I can't afford a new top, so any suggestions of good places to go to rework the existing top - snaps, stitching, etc.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
I'd find some replacement snaps made out of good quality stainless steel. Regular old plated steel just can't stand up to exposure.
I'd even be suspicious of stainless snaps. All stainless is not created equal, and there's some inferior alloys out there.
Plated brass might be another option.

·
Registered
370 Posts
GearUp,

I would try Tony's Tops in Tigard. He uses stainless for all hardware. Mine have not corroded at all, even with the boat staying in the water the last three years.

He also said that there if I needed repairs that there was no need to bring the entire boat into the shop. Just bring in the part that needs repair. He can repair or replace that part, using the original, as a pattern.

His prices were the most reasonable I could find when I had my top made.

·
Administrator
41,360 Posts
Related question: Can snaps be "tightened"? I have a couple that insist on pulling apart with very little pressure. Do I need to replace them or is there a way to do something as easy as tapping them lightly with a hammer to make them work better?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
GearUp,

Although it is tedious work, I use a cotton swap and "Corrosion Block" on my snaps about 3 times a year. I just soak the cotton swab in the lubricant and work over each snap. I haven't had any problems with sticky snaps since I started doing that.

SD

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Pete,

You should be able to find an inexpensive snap kit at most hardware or sports outlets. They should have a small tool inside. I would use that tap tool instead of just the hammer. The little tool is shaped to fit the top of the snap.

SD

·
Registered
846 Posts
My Boat Top man at the upholstery shop told me to take a tooth pick and a jar of vaseline and put a little on every female snap. I improved on it a little and used a cotton swab and a lubricant that they make for soft ice cream machine's working parts. It's really waterproof, and is stainless and non toxic. As far as tightening them, I've tried to stick a small screwdriver in the snap and bend the spring a little tighter, but it doesn't seem to work. Best thing is replacement.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Pete,

Related question: Can snaps be "tightened"?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">A little trick that Gordon of Carol's Custom Canvas showed me.

On the loose snaps, take a pliers and slightly deform the male part of the snap until it's juuuussst right.

Brion

·
Registered
609 Posts
Brion Lutz, I now have been ordered by my canvas guy to take you out. That little trade secret has worked wonders for me. If a guy called Randy asks you about your snaps -RUN! :grin:

Full Freezer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts