IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think I have the carb, and always have and I like it. I hear the fuel injection is much better on fuel, just want to know what you think. I have a new 2003, just wondering if I should have got the optimax. :grin:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
IFISH4U,

I am not an expert on outboard engines, but I have a story about carbs vs. Optimax that helped me make my decision.

I recently purchased a new 21' Formula Vee Alumaweld from my friends at Steven's Marine. When I went to order the boat, Chad, my saleman, asked me what size engine I wanted. I simply said, "150 hp Merc." "OK says Chad, done". About 2 months later, while waiting for my boat, a friend says to me, "Did you get the 150 Carb, EFI, or Optimax model." My reply, "I don't know, Chad just ordered a 150hp Merc."

Courious about the three choices, and owing to the fact that I was not offered a choice, I called Chad. His reply, "I don't want troubles, you're too good a customer, you are getting the carb model!" "OK, but why", I replied. Chad said that they have had more problems with the Optimax than any other choice, and then asked me if I would like to confirm this with the guys in the motor shop. "No, I'll take your word for it, I do not need troubles or extra time down with my new boat".

Once the boat was delivered, both of the mechanics came over to see the finished product and commented that at least they won't have another Optimax to fix on this boat!!

Long story, but the moral is simple. Stay with proven technology, cut down on shop time; it's worth the extra few dollars in gas savings.

Hope this helps!

Rusty

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just sell it and buy a yamaha and your problems will be solved!!!!!! :laugh: The carbs have always worked well and I have heard of problems with the opitmaxes myself. The EFI does get better fuel economy though. Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just re-powered my 18ft sv with a new merc Xr6 150. The sales person talked me out of the opti max. Seems like i'm getting better mileage and power out of my motor verses my old wich was a merc 175

1 - 5 of 5 Posts