IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all fishers,

I've just been contacted by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior and the National Park Service. I have been a SCUBA diving instructor/examiner for them over that last 15 years. About 6 years ago I was offered an opportunity to Dive on the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor to help map out the wreck as well as develop on underwater oil "catch" system to determine how much oil was leaking daily. Somehow over the years the system I developed got lost and I have been invited to build another one and come to Hawaii to reinstall it.

This is again an opportunity of a lifetime! I can't put into words the feelings and emotions felt while being there the 1st time. This time I will be shooting my own personal pictures to post here on Ifish, as just for all ifishers to enjoy. Let me know if you might have any photographic requests from Pearl Harbor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I visited the AZ. OCT 1964 on my way to Nam. a very humbling experience!

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Wow, Kujo, that is truly mind-boggling. Thanks for offering to take us along, even if it just viewing the pics when you get back. Just imagining you there is overwhelming.

Whisper "thanks" for me while you're down there, will you? :bowdown:

Skein

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
:shocked: Wow. Most definitely the opportunity of a lifetime, AGAIN!
Somebody told me a long time ago that the govt poured concrete over the wreck.
Is this true?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I was on the deck of the Missouri this spring. It was a very informative and emotional experience. Enjoy your trip, have fun, do a great job and say another prayer for me for all those that gave their life for the rest of us.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was only 14 when I first visited the monument. I did'nt truely understand and appreciate it as much as I do now. Sounds like truely a unique oppertunity. Just watch out for the Tiger(???) Sharks :smile: (Like Cap'n Kujo fears anything!) Apparently that part of the harbor is somewhat a feeding ground for a few species. The one we saw on our trip was only 5 or 6 feet long, but definately cool looking with the Arizona as the backdrop!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 1pump:
:shocked: Wow. Most definitely the opportunity of a lifetime, AGAIN!
Somebody told me a long time ago that the govt poured concrete over the wreck.
Is this true?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Well I can tell you from the last time I dove it it was not covered with concrete. The deck is silted of course but you can still see and enjoy the teak wood decking and the open hatches lead lead into darkness. Watch for pics each day as I return. I'm taking my sony 707 5 megapixel camera with u/w housing and flash as well as mini DV u/w camera. Want to share every awe striking moment with all interested Ifishers.

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
19,907 Posts
Capt.Kujo,I've looked down on the Arizona from the deck of an aircraft carrier on many occasions. I've seen the oil slicks that form over the boilers. I still get a big lump in my throat just thinking about it.

Barney USN 69-72

[ 10-27-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: freespool ]

·
Registered
244 Posts
Captn Kujo, what an honor to be picked for such a job.

From one used to be diver - I can't think of a better dive sight in the entire world.

My wife and I have been to the Arizona Memorial twice. Once in the late 80s and again in 2000, after the Missouri was parked next to it.

I can tell you they did not pour concrete over it and it is still leaking oil.

It's a very emotional sight to behold. Even the second time.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
My grandfather was at Pearl Harbor on the USS Tennessee. I am VERY thankful and VERY fortunate that he survived the attack. Someday I will make it there to remember the stories he has told me of that day.

Being a diver myself, I am equally interested in the pictures for the experience.

Thank you in advance for sharing! I may have to hit you up for a cd of the pictures...we'll talk after you get back.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Congratulations Kujo. All of us will be there with you.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I served on two Navy ships from 74 to 78 and when we would enter Pearl Harbor or leave we would man the rails and salute our shipmates on the Arizona it was very humbling experiance.....this business of protecting our liberty can be deadly serious. salute them again for me too kujo... gary fetters

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Thank you for shareing your pictures with us.They will be something we would otherwise never get to see.My dad was on ford island when they attacked
Pearl Harbour and my wife and I went to the memorial last year while we were in Hawaii it is a very humbling experiance indeed.The show you see before they take you out to the memorial is also worth seeing you'll sse scenes they've not showed on T.V. or the movies.If any of you get the chance make sure you take the Navy tour its something you'll never forget.
NEVER EVER FORGET !!!
Bob

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by SuperT:
I'm glad everyone else seems to have had a wonderful experience there. Unfortunately, for me, it was one of the most difficult hours of my life.

I was in the Navy from 1991 until 1999. We pulled into Pearl several times and the third time, I decided to make a trip to the memorial. It just so happened that there was a very large group of Japanese tourists in the group I was in. I'm one of the most laid back and tollerent people that I know, but while we were watching the old footage of the attacks, this group started cheering every time a torpedo struck one of our ships. I think that's as close to homicidal as I've ever felt before. These people had zero respect for the place and what it stood for.

I went back to Pearl three more times after that and though I wanted to go back to the memorial, I couldn't take that again.

On a happier note, I can't wait to see the pictures. They'll be nothing if not spectacular. I'm almost surprised that they are trying to stop the oil leaks. It seems to me that the oil bubbling up is part of the whole impact of the site.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">I wasn't going to bring this up, but while I was diving there the first time, I experienced the same disrespect from tourists. I'm not very laid back or tolerant and I wanted to do something, and my thoughts weren't good. But while diving for the National Park Service I'm considered a "Governement Employee" and can suffer consequences based on my actions. I did manage to pre-plan and execute a water entry just as the group was leaving the memorial with an exceedingly "large" splash. It seems I drenched them completely :laugh: . Of course I tried to say I was sorry just before I left the surface, but they didn't speak a word of English so too bad so sad. I felt barely vindicated as it was the most dis-respectful act I have ever witnessed. I have felt your pain!

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Super-T one other thing we're not trying to stop the oil just monitor the enviromental impact on the harbor as well as the amount of oil leaking. Looking forward to giving you all a pictorial of my trip.

CAPT KUJO

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm glad everyone else seems to have had a wonderful experience there. Unfortunately, for me, it was one of the most difficult hours of my life.

I was in the Navy from 1991 until 1999. We pulled into Pearl several times and the third time, I decided to make a trip to the memorial. It just so happened that there was a very large group of Japanese tourists in the group I was in. I'm one of the most laid back and tollerent people that I know, but while we were watching the old footage of the attacks, this group started cheering every time a torpedo struck one of our ships. I think that's as close to homicidal as I've ever felt before. These people had zero respect for the place and what it stood for.

I went back to Pearl three more times after that and though I wanted to go back to the memorial, I couldn't take that again.

On a happier note, I can't wait to see the pictures. They'll be nothing if not spectacular. I'm almost surprised that they are trying to stop the oil leaks. It seems to me that the oil bubbling up is part of the whole impact of the site.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts