IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
119,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can\'t swim? Walk!! Weighted lifejackets?

Thumper's son sent me this, and I got a huge kick out of it! Thanks for the :laugh: Tom! He swore it was true!

------------
One time guiding float trips in Alaska I was fishing with an older gentleman who told me he didnt swim. He was overdressed and having a hard time moving with his clothes on. He told me he felt more comfortable with his inflatable fishing vest and all his clothes on. As the day progressed I could tell he was deathly afraid of the water. As he loosened up he finally removed his vest and a few layers of clothing. He was fishing downstream of the boat on a stop and busted off his lure on a snag. I asked him if I could help. He asked me to bring him down his vest. When I lifted the vest I couldn't believe how much it weighed. 75 lbs if an ounce. Upon reaching him I asked," What could possibly weigh so much and be so important?" He reminded me that he didnt swim and informed me HIS Idea of safety was a vest full of weights so if he fell in he would have enough traction on the bottom to run out the side of the river!!!!!

Dont try this at home!!!
SMILES
TOM

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Re: Can\'t swim? Walk!! Weighted lifejackets?

My granpappy told me -If you can't swim -sink to bottom anr run up hill.
DAB

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Thats almost as good as the Kayaker I met with the scuba air tank in his cockpit! He felt it was important to be equally comfortable wether right side up or up side down through the rapids!!
Or the Northwest famous white water guide(who shall remain nameless)who wears waders guiding white water floats and hasnt even taken the time to teach his kids to swim.
Theres no substitute for a good safety education!
BE SAFE, GOOD LUCK, FISH ON!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts

Hmmm - part funny, part kinda serious. If you've ever waded out a little to deep in your neoprene chest waders and started losing grip on the bottom you know what I mean. :shocked:
Guess that's why I bought a boat and life jackets and hung up the waders and float coat! :shrug:

·
Registered
980 Posts

I'm reminded of my father-in-law. A long-time outdoorsman, he was commenting on the newish canoeing technique of wearing helmets, strapping yourself into the boat, and learning to roll the canoe back upright, kayak-style, after capsizing. He said, "I always figured that when the canoe tipped over, that was the time to get out."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts