IFish.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided that our new canoe is a bit tippy as a fishing platform for our younger kids. I'm considering outriggers to stabilize it. The one's I've seen on the internet range from little foam ones to large plastic pontoons. Has anyone used an outrigger on a canoe here? What would you recommend?

happybrew

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
When I first got my canoe, I spent some time looking at stabilizers. There are a lot of options out there. My advice would be to get the kind that strap right to the side of the canoe. Less obstructive when you're trying to land fish. Besides, if your canoe has a beam of 36" and you add 6" to each side, you're up to 48" of beam and that's equivalent to a lot of aluminum boats. If you were the handy, "I don't care what it looks like" type, you could get some of the boat bumpers that are on sale at FMS right now and strap them to the sides of your canoe. A couple of those on each side would help stabilize things quite a bit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have some outriggers I got from Cabella's. They are styrofoam floats attached to adjustable aluminium booms. You can adjust how far they are from the canoe as well as how far down they go from gunnel level. I highly recommend them if you are canoeing with children, especially for fishing. They are made by an outfit from Minnesota that makes all kinds of accesories for canoes.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The stabilizers from Cabelas were a bit more than I cared to pay. I considered the boat bumpers, but even at the sales price from FMC, it was still a bit more than I cared for. Yeah, I'm REALLY cheap. With the gas to get up there, I decided it would be better to shop around here. GI Joe's wanted almost $30 for them. I found 5" diameter bumbers for $6.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse, so I picked up four of them. With wood I've got around the house, I think I can do it with what I've got. Attach them to the wood, clamp the wood to the gunnel, and I should be good to go. If I want more stability, I could go out further, but then I'd need to re-think it a bit more, probably attach it to the yoke in the center instead of the gunnels. Thanks for the ideas!

happybrew

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! I almost got crab pot floats for it, but the bumpers were a little bigger, and seemed like they might be more durable if I want to take it in a river. I have a long piece of pfc that I was considering for outriggers. I'm going to have to rethink that. It will definitely have to be something I can clamp onto the gunnels, unlike a kayak where there is a deck to attach it to. Thanks!

happybrew

1 - 6 of 6 Posts