IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Administrator
129,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel free to add yours, below, to try to keep them in one spot.
Jen

· Registered
5,148 Posts
We bought some tuna to freeze, however, we have some scraps that we would like to process for tunafish. Canning is not an option. So what is the best way to do that?

· Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,287 Posts
Freeze raw in small portions. Thaw and cook as needed. It will last longer this way. You could cook and then freeze but it only last a couple months cooked.

· Registered
629 Posts
Cindy and I are planning to try canning for the first time. But, we have no idea about pressure cookers or where to get them. Freddy's in Newport doesn't carry them and I'd like a bigger one so I don't have to spend all day at this.

I've seen the Presto cookers on-line and others with a screw down lid at the Goodwill but where do you buy these things?

Thanks

· Registered
629 Posts
FishSniffer,

I bought mine at Bimart a couple of years ago. Now I eat canned tuna and salmon 2 or 3 times a week. :food:

It's simple to do.
Thanks Sturgeonator. I'll hit BiMart when I head to the valley next week. I'm going to need a propane cooker as well since we have a glass-top electric range. Besids, I think I want to do this outside so I don't have to worry about smelling up the place.

· Registered
24 Posts
So everyone knows, Bi-Mart is having a sale on canners and supplies right now. On my way home from the ODFW Commission meeting last night I stopped and picked up a 23 qt cooker and 6 flats of jars which are now sitting in the garage.

I wonder how many 1/2 pint jars you need for each salmon, steelhead or tuna.

Bought one tonight in Washougal after going to several stores in Oregon. Washougal has several left. Good luck. I got a 23qt Presto Pressure Cooker for $59.95 and 7dz 1/2 pint wide mouth jars for $6.79/dz. I think the sale ends on 8/12. I also learned that they will give you a 30 day raincheck if they are out. I'm gonna try this canning thing next week. Wish me luck.

Keith

· Registered
712 Posts
I don't know about Oregon, but on the north side of the muddy we can call our local county extention agent (heath dept) and they will tell you all the temps, time and pounds to can anything. I do fish in pints & 1/2 pints @ 11lbs for 100 minutes and it seem to work for me.

· Registered
1,539 Posts
All canning supplies are on sale at BiMart right now... just stocked up on jars... we did up 12 quarts of pickles 12 pints of pickled jalapenos and 12 pints of pickled beets last weekend!

· Registered
2,286 Posts
My advice for canning tuna is to always start with whole tuna and fillet yourself rather than buying fillets. Often times the fillets you buy have deteriorated in quality by poor handling or age.

I like to cut the fillets in strips, sprinkle some salt and pepper and then sear on one side on a hot weber grill. (This gives the finished canned tuna a better flavor in my opinion.) I then add the cut up chunks to my jars, add a little olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.

· Registered
2,922 Posts
One tip to try is to add a couple drops of liquid smoke to the jars before canning. I have done this with both salmon and tuna to rave reviews. I raw dry pack the jars with a bit of salt and liquid smoke and nothing else. 11lbs for 100 minutes and you are all set.

For rough numbers figure 9-10 ounces of fresh dressed fish per 1/2 pint or 18-20 ounces per pint. Your mileage will vary based on size of fish.

I know some don't but I like to can the salmon with all the bones. The bones soften right up on canning and add a little texture. It also saves on waste since almost the entire fish can go in the jar that way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.