IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
3,165 Posts
[mention]Cowlitz [/mention] let us know how it comes out. I’m interested if the Citric acid does anything to the overall flavor

· Registered
2,464 Posts
Following. Skeptical, but interested in the outcome. Flavor and texture is a big factor for me. Most of the time I just keep eating it daily till gone.

· Registered
510 Posts
I tried pressure canning it once and did not like it at all. The flavor was bad and the texture was horrible. I didn't have a clue about how to do it, and I am sure that others have been more successful, but one try is enough for me.

Years back I would buy five pound cans from Warrenton Deep Sea market and it was fantastic, but it wasn't canned other than being stored in one. They told me five days was the maximum refrigerator time then they froze the cans. I have wondered if maybe vacuum sealing pint jars of meat and freezing them would turn out. I may have to try that unless somebody on here already has and knows it doesn't keep long. Anyone tried it that way?

· Registered
2,464 Posts
What besides flavor and texture is there to judge it on once it is in your mouth?
Nothing for me. I don’t eat it for protein. I eat it because, I would have to say, it is my most favorite food ahead of razor clams. If there is a way that it can be preserved, and taste and feel like it was fresh, I am very interested. That is why I said I was skeptical. I don’t believe it can come close to fresh by any preparation. 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I marinate the crab meat in a brine made up of 2 tsp salt, 2 cups of lemon juice and 4 quarts of water for 2 minutes and then drain and through colander and gently squeeze out excess brine without breaking up the meat. I add 1/4 tsp of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice to hot half pint jars, add 6 oz of crab to each jar, fill with boiling water, remove bubbles with a knife, clean rims, put on the lids and then water bath can them for 30 minutes. I did it a month ago and sampled with friends and tastes fine.
Food Tableware Food storage containers Drinkware Ingredient

· Registered
154 Posts
If you are not happy with the canning results please try my freezing process. I have been using it for years and if done correctly you can keep crab in the freezer for 6 months, thaw it, and it will have the taste and texture of crab cooked yesterday. I have kept it longer but the texture changes and it is good for soups or dips only.
Process:
Clean crab, cook and rapidly chill under running cold water. Shell meat then portion into a zip top bag and roll the air out of the bag before zipping closed. Then vacuum seal the zip locked bag of meat. The zip top bag keeps the crab juice in the meat and vacuum sealing is the best way to freeze meat.
It is CRITICAL to thaw the crab meat in the refrigerator for two days prior to using. This gives the meat time to thaw and reabsorb its juice.

· Registered
76 Posts
I read somewhere many years back to put it in milk/half-half and freeze it. We’ve had good luck and mostly us it for crab cakes or pasta. You can drain the milk and lightly rinse or just use with the milk for cream dishes. I would guess we use it within 6 months. I suspect it works because it pushes the air out like the natural juice above. Maybe the fat content helps. If we pick it this how we freeze it.

· Registered
5,799 Posts
I read somewhere many years back to put it in milk/half-half and freeze it. We’ve had good luck and mostly us it for crab cakes or pasta. You can drain the milk and lightly rinse or just use with the milk for cream dishes. I would guess we use it within 6 months. I suspect it works because it pushes the air out like the natural juice above. Maybe the fat content helps. If we pick it this how we freeze it.
Freezing in whole milk has worked great for me also. There is supposed to be some chemical in the milk that neutralizes off flavors one can get in crab that is not perfectly fresh. At least that is what I've read from the more reliable sources I could find on it.

You are correct, may not be as good as fresh just eating by itself, but perfectly fine to use in any crab dish.

The milk, after draining off the thawed crab goes great in adding to seafood chowders also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts